• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lost & Found

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Happens to the best of us.<sigh>

My juvenile female Ornithoctonus sp. Laos (Prison Des Abeilles) escaped on the 27th of March.
She moved like lightening, out of her enclosure, took a big leap, and was gone!
She had never tried something, like this, before.
Also, I, stupidly, did not have her enclosure on/inside something (to catch/block her in case of escape) when I opened her enclosure.

Searched hours, & hours, & hours for her ... to no avail.
I was, absolutely, devastated! So much so that I actually got sick to my stomach.

Well, today, I found her!:)
Am so ecstatic, and relieved, to have her back!
Words cannot express it enough.

The only downside is that it seems she may have injured her abdomen.
No open wounds, as far as I can tell, but I worry about anything gone wrong, internally, and am hoping her spinnerets (which looked odd but I couldn't get the greatest view) are fine.

She seems to move okay and I have not observed any really odd behavior, thus far, other than her being noticeably stressed out.
I pray that she will be just fine and recovers from whatever possible injury she may have. Time will tell.

Still, I am "over the moon" to have her back in her home!

The photo, below, (also added to my folder) was taken the day before her escape. She had molted a day, or two, prior. The photo does not show her pretty abdomen but, IMHO, she looks beautiful regardless.:)

Attachments

• 20170330_170535-652x800.jpg
    20170330_170535-652x800.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 40

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm so glad you've found her and fingers crossed she'll be fine once she settles down again after the stress of her escapade.

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Thanks Enn.:)
Am pretty worried about her.
Keeping my fingers crossed for sure.
She has jammed herself into a corner, amid wood & leaves, and hasn't moved from there.
Not that remaining there is anything unusual, for her, but she is keeping herself tightened up rather than laying in a comfort pose.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks Enn.:)
Am pretty worried about her.
Keeping my fingers crossed for sure.
She has jammed herself into a corner, amid wood & leaves, and hasn't moved from there.
Not that remaining there is anything unusual, for her, but she is keeping herself tightened up rather than laying in a comfort pose.

She'll be stressed, give her a few days and she'll probably get back to normal.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Happens to the best of us.<sigh>

My juvenile female Ornithoctonus sp. Laos (Prison Des Abeilles) escaped on the 27th of March.
She moved like lightening, out of her enclosure, took a big leap, and was gone!
She had never tried something, like this, before.
Also, I, stupidly, did not have her enclosure on/inside something (to catch/block her in case of escape) when I opened her enclosure.

Searched hours, & hours, & hours for her ... to no avail.
I was, absolutely, devastated! So much so that I actually got sick to my stomach.

Well, today, I found her!:)
Am so ecstatic, and relieved, to have her back!
Words cannot express it enough.

The only downside is that it seems she may have injured her abdomen.
No open wounds, as far as I can tell, but I worry about anything gone wrong, internally, and am hoping her spinnerets (which looked odd but I couldn't get the greatest view) are fine.

She seems to move okay and I have not observed any really odd behavior, thus far, other than her being noticeably stressed out.
I pray that she will be just fine and recovers from whatever possible injury she may have. Time will tell.

Still, I am "over the moon" to have her back in her home!

The photo, below, (also added to my folder) was taken the day before her escape. She had molted a day, or two, prior. The photo does not show her pretty abdomen but, IMHO, she looks beautiful regardless.:)
Oh wow, she's gorgeous..I've heard the name but never looked into this spider, very nice paint job. I'm glad you found her.

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Thanks guys.:)
I am really happy, and so very lucky, to have found her.

Also appreciate the reassurences.

Mass, it is great species! More of a webber and beautiful. You should get one.;)

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Great that you found her back! Ouf!

I have one question if you please: what have you given her as an enclosure?

I ask because Ornithoctonus spp. behave like Cyriopagopus (ex-Haplopelma): they need deep and moist substrate to dig a burrow. I really don't know how yours is housed, but could it be that she doesn't have enough dirt to dig deep? It could explain the heavy webbing + the fact that she dashed out of the enclosure when you opened it...?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Great that you found her back! Ouf!

I have one question if you please: what have you given her as an enclosure?

I ask because Ornithoctonus spp. behave like Cyriopagopus (ex-Haplopelma): they need deep and moist substrate to dig a burrow. I really don't know how yours is housed, but could it be that she doesn't have enough dirt to dig deep? It could explain the heavy webbing + the fact that she dashed out of the enclosure when you opened it...?

Thanks.:)

There isn't a whole lot of information re. this specific species but, from my understanding, this is not your typical Ornithoctonus.

Many photos will show them in/amid webbing. Even in the wild, again from my understanding, you can find them in webbing between anchor points. Perhaps some may make a burrow or a burrow of sorts(?).

I made my girl's enclosure to where she could either burrow or climb. Her free choice to either burrow, behave as a terrestrial, or to go somewhat arboreal.
There is enough substrate, should she choose to burrow, but she has never shown the slightest indication of having a desire to burrow ... nor has she ever tried.
Her preference is to make webbing between anchor points (utilizing plants, cork bark pieces, etc.). So far, webbing has been at ground level or close to ground level.
Another person's experience, with this species, has mimicked the behavior of my girl.
It would be nice, however, to talk to more people, who own this specific species, should the opportunity arise (to share experiences, etc.).

My Chilobrachys sp. Electric Blue, OTOH, ...
A true underground dweller. LoL
Pops up, for some fresh air, every once in awhile though.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
This is very interesting, thank you so much for your answer! I don't own this specific sp. But I have an Ornithoctonus aureotibialis who is a true burrower.

You did very well in giving yours the choice: that's the best she could expect! Keep us informed of her behavior, it helps to learn more about these sp.!

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
My bad: I checked in one of my book and on the net, and you are right: this Ornithoctoninae sp Laos (it's not even considered as an Ornithoctonus sp. thus far) is found on mountain stone walls, in a webbed burrow between cracks. Very interesting.

Pasodama

3 Year Member
My bad: I checked in one of my book and on the net, and you are right: this Ornithoctoninae sp Laos (it's not even considered as an Ornithoctonus sp. thus far) is found on mountain stone walls, in a webbed burrow between cracks. Very interesting.

It's a great species and I hope to get another one, or two, sometime down the line.
'Course, if/when I breed my current gal, when old/big enough, I will need a male, anyway, and at the least end.;)

On a more positive note, re. my gal, I got a better look, at her spinnerets, and they appear to be fine. Also, she is in a much more relaxed pose this afternoon.
Hopefully she did not have an internal abdominal injury ... but I think it is a good sign that she, currently, appears relaxed ... now that she has decompressed (from stress).:)

Latest posts