• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Last week's builds.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Another great benefit to this hobby is that the investment in enclosures is completely up to the hobbyist. Jars, plastic containers, glass, high end and high end acrylic all work great if you can provide the right temp and humidity. The nice thing is that now that you have the acrylic, they should last a LONG time. Most likely longer than your T's and they can be re-used over and over. I would recommend that anyone that interested in this hobby should consider high end displays like yours. I truly believe that it keeps your interest over the long run. Not only are the pets interesting, but much more visible. This can really assist in noticing maintenance issues, molts and empty water dishes. Really helps when you share your hobby with others and increases the chances of expanding the hobby. Nothing wrong with containers and I know many people have no problem religiously performing maintenance on their T's but this is a long term hobby as many species can live 10+ years.
Agreed. I'll be ordering a few precut sheets of acrylic with my tax refund in a few weeks to build an enclosure for the A. chalcodes. The 6x6x6" one she is in now is too small. SHe's got her tunnel dug out and the dirt is up to the lid on both sides :) She's needs more room lol

ZombieElite

3 Year Member
Bought a full sheet of acrylic and rolled up my sleeves to build more arboreal enclosures. Only power tool used was a drill press (small bench top type). Materials: 1 sheet 48"X96"X.180" acrylic, 4' straight edge, razor knife w/h blades, Loctite plastic bonder epoxy, painters tape, 5 pair 1"X1" brass hinges, 5 brass hasp and staples, tape measure and 2 salvaged 8"X72"X3/16" acrylic strips. Total time cutting and drilling acrylic about 1 1/2 hours. Costs: $65 for acrylic sheet, $6 epoxy and $11 for brass hardware. Still have a piece of acrylic 36"X25"X.180" left for future use.
I think it would be so awesome if you put together a youtube video on how you build these!

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Its on the "bucket list". ;)
Expansion of the T room is the priority at this time. 8'X8'X12' has become crowded, removing a wall, creating an 8'X8'X24' room.
That sounds like a great idea, and just think, you'll have all that space to fill!!
I'm almost jealous!

Latest posts