• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Large Abdomen

Meludox

3 Year Member
I noticed today that my G. rosea's abdomen is dragging across the substrate when she walks. I know that it could be from overfeeding or she's in pre-molt but I haven't overfed her, she actually just broke a 6+ month fast a few days ago and has eaten one roach. Could she be ready to molt? Her abdomen looks like it may be a bit dark and shiny.

Meludox

3 Year Member
Awesome! I can't wait to see a spider molt for the first time. May I ask another question? How should the humidity percentage be in order for her to molt properly? I have read that 70% is ideal but her tank stays at 40%. I have tried moistening the substrate but that really annoys her.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Awesome! I can't wait to see a spider molt for the first time. May I ask another question? How should the humidity percentage be in order for her to molt properly? I have read that 70% is ideal but her tank stays at 40%. I have tried moistening the substrate but that really annoys her.
No need to moisten for a rosea, just make sure she has fresh water in her dish. If you want you can make a small damp area away from her usual hangout area, if she needs it she'll go to it. The important part comes after the molt, when she's exhausted and thirsty. I always give them a few hrs and then put a few drops close to where they're sitting. 9 times out of ten you'll see them laying on the damp area an hr later. Hope this helps.

Payden King

3 Year Member
I leave a water dish with clean water in it for her :) They are definitely prissy when it comes to their substrate being wet (or at least my four are) so as long as they have their water dish to drink from, it's just enough for them :) Also sometimes when the humidity gets too low I spray her moss around her hide because she's never around there so it doesn't bother her too much.

Latest posts