• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

L. Parahybana is digging out his hide..

Loafman

3 Year Member
I've been watching one of my L. Para's (Crichton) and for the last hour or so he has been digging coco fibre out of his hide (which is half a coconut shell) and piling it up to the side of his hide. He never uses the hide normally, so I have a feeling he is going to head in there and moult tonight, so it'll probably be while I'm in bed. I guess he's making sure he has room to moult properly as he is already about 4 inches approx, so there can't be much room inside the coconut shell.

Last time he moulted he flipped on his back next to the shell and got on with it.. white as a ghost when he was done. he did make a moulting mat though. I really should go to bed, but I'm too interested! :D

Loafman

3 Year Member
Well, he hasn't moulted yet.. :rolleyes: so maybe he was just doing a bit of house keeping.

Thing is, my other LP is doing the same thing now, which is strange. I'm currently filming it, and I've just watched it toss out it's old carapace from a previous moult..

I can't help but find it all rather fascinating.. :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My B. vagans spent hours expanding the area under her hide. then while i was sleeping she flipped the hide over in the space she just hollowed out. It's not quite a half circle of cork bark, kind of laying at an angle now upside down, and she spends a lot of time now resting on hide, like it's a lounger or something ;) i guess since she can't budge the water dish she has she had to move something huh?

Loafman

3 Year Member
My B. vagans spent hours expanding the area under her hide. then while i was sleeping she flipped the hide over in the space she just hollowed out. It's not quite a half circle of cork bark, kind of laying at an angle now upside down, and she spends a lot of time now resting on hide, like it's a lounger or something ;) i guess since she can't budge the water dish she has she had to move something huh?
Haha! Yeah, my genics used to flip their water bowls when they were smaller, they don't any more though. They used to proper trash the place..

Latest posts