• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Keeping vivarium warm

Malcspring

Hey folks,
With the onset of the colder weather I am wanting to keep my girl's environment warm enough. I've already got a heat mat attached to the back wall of the vivarium then covered it with foil to reflect the residual heat towards the tank.
Currently I've got the mat on full, but it doesn't seem to be making much of a difference to the point where the ambient temperature inside the vivarium was 19 degrees this morning.
I've been thinking of getting some polystyrene sheeting and covering the vivarium back and sides in order to keep it insulated enough.
Any other tips would be welcome too.
Thanks
Malc

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I just rely on my central heating, 22-23C during the day and drops to 18C at night in winter.

GarField000

3 Year Member
If you have only one to heat there is nothing else than a heatmat.
I had a Scorpion that needed extra heat and I build a 'house' around the enclosure off that white foam stuff (not sure how it's called in english). styrofoam?

I have one bedroom dedicated to the spiders and I just keep the whole room heated during the day

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If you have only one to heat there is nothing else than a heatmat.
I had a Scorpion that needed extra heat and I build a 'house' around the enclosure off that white foam stuff (not sure how it's called in english). styrofoam?

I have one bedroom dedicated to the spiders and I just keep the whole room heated during the day

Be very careful using styrofoam (polystyrene in the UK) with a heatmat, the heat of the mat can melt the polystyrene and always use a thermostat with a mat to prevent accidental overheating.

GarField000

3 Year Member
I thought they use it for boxes to keep heat/cold in/out I can use it to let the heat from the mat go past .....
The heatmat was attached to the terra and I build a kind off hut around it. It didn't touch the polystyrene.

2023-10-16 09_29_39-Window.png

But if it's dangerous please don't use my advise ....

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Be very careful using styrofoam (polystyrene in the UK) with a heatmat, the heat of the mat can melt the polystyrene and always use a thermostat with a mat to prevent accidental overheating.

And NEVER use a heat mat under an enclosure, as T's burrow to escape heat & so you can cook them. And with bottom heating, there is no escaping the heat, but with back or side heating, you T can move away from the heat, if it chooses.

And there are alternatives to a heat mat for a one or two enclosures. Look up heated cable for example. I tried a cable one winter & kept the cable close to, but not touching my enclosures. Another option is buy a larger enclosure & place them in there. A local pet store keeps it's tarantulas inside a top heated vivarium, for both warmth & security. But with a couple of enclosures, you could simply use a clear plastic storage box. Although, wooden reptile vivarium can be brought for as little as £10 to £20 & they would hold several enclosures. I sold one, including a fitted heat lamp for £15 last year.

I keep my slings inside a large sandwich tub. My lounge, where I keep my T's used to be the only room in the house without radiators. It just had a gas fire which we used that very infrequently, instead keeping the hall door open. But at night the temperature did drop a little. So I put my slings into a second enclosure. But with no insulation & that kept the heat at a more stable level throughout the 24 hours.

Stan Schultz

3 Year Member
Hey folks,
With the onset of the colder weather I am wanting to keep my girl's environment warm enough. I've already got a heat mat attached to the back wall of the vivarium then covered it with foil to reflect the residual heat towards the tank.
Currently I've got the mat on full, but it doesn't seem to be making much of a difference to the point where the ambient temperature inside the vivarium was 19 degrees this morning.
I've been thinking of getting some polystyrene sheeting and covering the vivarium back and sides in order to keep it insulated enough.
Any other tips would be welcome too.
Thanks
Malc

First, answer some questions please:
1) Where do you live? (City, [State/Province], Country

2) Show us a photo of your tarantula's cage.

3) What are the cage's dimensions? (Length x Width x Height in either centimeters or inches [please specify].)

4) What kind of tarantula are we talking about here?

5) How large (or small) is this tarantula? Please specify either body length (BL) or diagonal leg span (DLS). Also specify whether you're using centimeters or inches.

Lastly, be sure to read this webpage: TEMPERATURE.

May all the holes in your path hold large, fuzzy spiders.

Stan

Latest posts