• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Juvenile T escaped during the night

Papaya

So I had just rehoused a little 1 1/4" juvenile B. smithi in an acrylic enclosure with vertical vent slots. I didnt think it could possibly squeeze through but the lid was fastened securely so its the only way I can conceive it got out . The enclosure is sitting on a shelf about 4' off the ground. Ive looked all around the room in every nook and cranny... no luck. Would it more likely climb up the adjacent wall?..., climb down?

Any suggestions here how to search would be greatly appreciated

(Yes I will rethink the enclosure ) :(

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Are you sure it didn't bury itself? It could be really hard to see it's burrow. They usually go down when they escape. They sometimes are drawn to moisture....bathrooms. Arboreals usually go up into corners (walls, or closets).

Papaya

I dont see a burrow. Could it possibly have just buried itself? I guess I can carefully sift through all the substrate but I didnt think it would do that

T Freak

I dont see a burrow. Could it possibly have just buried itself? I guess I can carefully sift through all the substrate but I didnt think it would do that
I would definitely check the substrate if you think it got out. If the carapace can’t fit thru the vent slots it didn’t get out and is just buried. Some T’s dig like crazy especially small ones like that.

x_raphael_xx

Seen your reply and am curious about this because I have a p Metallica sling in one of these. Made by zilla I believe. It seems pretty secure but is there something I’m missing?
I found there was a sizable hole in the hinge part of the door that a smallish T could slip through. I blocked mine with bits of paper til I was sure the T was too big to sneak out.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Yeah i had heard of that issue as well. I had bought one and it is a great idea and overall it felt secure. I but prefer the solid ones now.

My issue had been that when you lift up the door, it creates a gap at the hinge and I worried a T could try to get out or get caught when closing. It maybe somewhat similar to having a sliding top like I have now, but it just seems different/ safer to me with the sliding top.

MBullock

3 Year Member
Whenever my tarantulas escaped (two did) i always found them in piles of laundry lol

sometimes i think all i need to do to make a tarantula happy is just give it a pile of loose socks XD

Papaya

Is it one of those acrylic enclosures that comes in pieces and you put together?
Yes. The vertical vent slits are an 1/8” wide ( I used drill bits to gauge the size). Im really surprised it got out The lid has 3 locking tabs ( 2 sides and one middle) andthey were all, secure. If it turns up Im naming it Harry ( Houdini)

x_raphael_xx

I’m going to look into this as I definitely don’t want a p Metallica roaming around free lol
Here…Not huge, but if they push the door forward, a small T could squeeze through there.
46472425-AE78-479B-80FD-0685CAC1D5E1.jpeg

Papaya

Here…Not huge, but if they push the door forward, a small T could squeeze through there.
View attachment 67250
Thats exactly the type of enclosure it is. It has the little rubber bands. But this one has the door on top and the hinge hole is smaller than that. Im pretty sure it had to have squeezed through a vent slit...though I certainly would not have guessed it. 1 1/4" is small but not tiny

MBullock

3 Year Member
Thats exactly the type of enclosure it is. It has the little rubber bands. But this one has the door on top and the hinge hole is smaller than that. Im pretty sure it had to have squeezed through a vent slit...though I certainly would not have guessed it. 1 1/4" is small but not tiny
I had a big hogna carolinensis escape through a vent hole on the top of a deli cup once. Didnt think she'd get through that one but she made it!

Poppy2020

3 Year Member
Yeah i had heard of that issue as well. I had bought one and it is a great idea and overall it felt secure. I but prefer the solid ones now.

My issue had been that when you lift up the door, it creates a gap at the hinge and I worried a T could try to get out or get caught when closing. It maybe somewhat similar to having a sliding top like I have now, but it just seems different/ safer to me with the sliding top.
I have two of these types of enclosures— once a poor cricket got caught in the door as I was closing it. Didn’t notice til later…..poor dude.

cmoore0475

So I had just rehoused a little 1 1/4" juvenile B. smithi in an acrylic enclosure with vertical vent slots. I didnt think it could possibly squeeze through but the lid was fastened securely so its the only way I can conceive it got out . The enclosure is sitting on a shelf about 4' off the ground. Ive looked all around the room in every nook and cranny... no luck. Would it more likely climb up the adjacent wall?..., climb down?

Any suggestions here how to search would be greatly appreciated

(Yes I will rethink the enclosure ) :(
I have my 3 Ts in critter keepers until time to rehouse in something like that or exo terra kind of enclosures! Glad I saw this! I live in an apartment and will occasionally take laundry out to my mothers if I’m going to be there for a while! She would first murder me and then die if there was a Renegade T in my laundry that made its way into her house! I honestly can’t imagine anything worse to do to her!! Lol! My T albo. Juvie or my GBB sling I wouldn’t freak out too bad if they were missing in my place but my 2 1/2” D pentaloris is kind of an Ahole!! And it’s fast and skittish to boot! I could see the 1 1/4” GBB making a break and going for a run around the place! It did that when i got it home the first time I put it in a permanent enclosure! It decided to hang a hard left at the last minute and made several laps around my hands and arms until I got control of the little bugger! I had made a decision not to to handle my ts and the very first one I bought made me a liar right out of the gate!!

Latest posts