• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Juvenile Monocentropus balfouri missing 3 legs and a pedipalp after bad molt

Zoopy

Hi folks, I've got a juvie M balfouri of about 3-4cm body length that I got two weeks ago. She molted unexpectedly two days ago and I checked in once in a while and noticed that something doesn't seem quite right, as she was lying on her side a lot. I checked in again today and saw the she is missing three legs and the pedipalp on her right side. Looks like it was a really bad molt that took half the limbs with it. Only the back leg on the right side is still there and she seems to be using it to push herself around a bit.

What are my chances of pulling her through to the next molt? She's tiny and I can't get a good look at her fangs to see if they're intact. I've got a lot of tarantulas and this is the first time I've ever had a bad molt with a T. I've had a few with jumping spiders, but never Ts.

What can I do to avoid such molting issues in the future? I keep her pretty dry with a water bowl, because people told me balfouris like it dry. Had I known that she was about to molt, I might have watered one corner of the enclosure a bit to raise the humidity. She has a few narrow-ish cork tubes in her enclosure, but she should still have had more than enough space to get out of her old exoskeleton, so I don't think she got stuck due to not having enough space.

Zoopy

I'll try and take some photos if she comes out of the cork tube, but I can't get a decent photo of the damage while she's in there.

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
Unfortunately there is no guarantee about have no more molt issues even if we think we done everything right .Just have keep any eye on it and maybe give pre-killed stuff if it struggles to take down prey .

Latest posts