• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

just some general advise for your resident noob.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've always said "they are spiders, not lions". So, with that said, any spider can be kept by anyone with a modicum of sense. I know there are many who disagree with me, but that's my opinion

I totally agree with you. If you know what the T is capable of and treat it with respect I don't see why there should be a problem. I'd had loads of experience with snakes and their varying temperments so I felt I could cope.

Off subject Rockpython, but I'm dying to know if you keep Afrocks?

Rockpython

3 Year Member
I totally agree with you. If you know what the T is capable of and treat it with respect I don't see why there should be a problem. I'd had loads of experience with snakes and their varying temperments so I felt I could cope.

Off subject Rockpython, but I'm dying to know if you keep Afrocks?
I do keep one. She is small for 15 years old, but she's never bitten even once!

Rockpython

3 Year Member
20150927_165600.jpg

"Loki"

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've always said "they are spiders, not lions". So, with that said, any spider can be kept by anyone with a modicum of sense. I know there are many who disagree with me, but that's my opinion

Alas, many folks lack even a modicum of sense, and that can be an issue. And, they might not be lions, but they ARE venomous animals most folks think are creepy and dangerous. Living in a state where they almost banned all exotic pets after a chimp attack, and in one where pet stores can't sell tarantulas or other venomous inverts, it makes me nervous to hear about some of the fast Old World species in incapable and inexperienced hands. One good publicized bite could really put the hobby in a negative light. I do feel that most folks will know when they are ready for the Old World species, but I also don't think that they aren't animals to be trifled with..

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I check my T's no less then twice a day, keep their enclosures as clean as possible, try to give them a variety of foods to suit their tastes and needs, And continually watch them and learn from them. Hopefully they are all doing well, they all eat (even the G.rosea lol) and now seem happy with their enclosures. Each has their own little mannerisms that make them special in one way or another, The A.avic's little web dance when she eats, the G porteri insisting on waiting with its legs draped over the side of its enclosure when I feed it, then gracefully sneaking up and very gently taking its food. I seriously get so much enjoyment out of just watching them be spiders.

My question is, how long keeping T's should it be before getting either a Poecilotheria ornata or Avicularia versicolor? I realize they aren't considered beginner T's so I'm curious as to when you have enough experience to move up a step?

I got an A. versicolor for my forth T, and she did fine. They're a bit less forgiving of husbandry mistakes, but if you give them plenty of ventilation and a water dish, you'll be fine. As long are you get good husbandry advice (and don't obsess over humidity), this is a beautiful and docile species.

If you get a Poecilotheria species, perhaps start with one of the calmer "beginner" pokie species, like P. ornata or even P. regalis. Pick one up as a sling so that you can watch it grow and get used to its behavior and speed before you have a 7+" adult on your hands. Out of all the pokies species I keep, the ornata is probably my most skittish, and they have a bit of a rep for being a bit more prone to biting. Plus, 9-10" is a LOT of spider! :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Alas, many folks lack even a modicum of sense, and that can be an issue. And, they might not be lions, but they ARE venomous animals most folks think are creepy and dangerous. Living in a state where they almost banned all exotic pets after a chimp attack, and in one where pet stores can't sell tarantulas or other venomous inverts, it makes me nervous to hear about some of the fast Old World species in incapable and inexperienced hands. One good publicized bite could really put the hobby in a negative light. I do feel that most folks will know when they are ready for the Old World species, but I also don't think that they aren't animals to be trifled with..
I agree with everything you said, but the fact is, there's always idiots out there. Look at pitbulls...they got their reputation because some people are absolute morons, and shouldn't own a goldfish, much less a dog...I stopped worrying about the dummies in the hobby a long time ago. Que sera, sera.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I got an A. versicolor for my forth T, and she did fine. They're a bit less forgiving of husbandry mistakes, but if you give them plenty of ventilation and a water dish, you'll be fine. As long are you get good husbandry advice (and don't obsess over humidity), this is a beautiful and docile species.

If you get a Poecilotheria species, perhaps start with one of the calmer "beginner" pokie species, like P. ornata or even P. regalis. Pick one up as a sling so that you can watch it grow and get used to its behavior and speed before you have a 7+" adult on your hands. Out of all the pokies species I keep, the ornata is probably my most skittish, and they have a bit of a rep for being a bit more prone to biting. Plus, 9-10" is a LOT of spider! :)
Those are actually the two Pokie I've been looking at, and I have to admit to being drawn to the ornata, because Jamies has some slings ;), just so beautiful. My favorite, and I know I have odd tastes is Poecilotheria rufilata. still hemming and hawing over one though. I love the versi, but I'm so afraid of not having humidity right and hurting or causing it to die.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I wouldn't suggest anyone get a pokie or an OBT as a first tarantula. I'm of the opinion that no amount of research can prepare you for having to rehouse one of these. I'm a big fan of the ladder system. Psalmopoeus will prepare you for speed and attitude, minus the medically significant venom. This is why species like this and Ephebopus make great intermediate tarantulas. There's no reason to go diving into the deep end. Something to always consider is if you have other people and/or pets in your home, should an escape ever occur. The venom of some Old World species can be lethal to cats and dogs.

P.ornata is one of the worst pokie species you could possibly start out with. They're among the more high-strung pokies. I'd recommend P.regalis over P.ornata for someone new to this genus.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I agree with everything you said, but the fact is, there's always idiots out there. Look at pitbulls...they got their reputation because some people are absolute morons, and shouldn't own a goldfish, much less a dog...I stopped worrying about the dummies in the hobby a long time ago. Que sera, sera.

And as the owner of three pits who is worrying about having to change home insurance companies because idiots who have no right owning these animals have given the breed a bad rap, I again have to point to the fact that it's going to be one of these idiots who will ruin it for everyone in this hobby. Again, I'm not one of these alarmist who runs around freaking out every time someone skips an imaginary rung in the "ladder of tarantula ownership", but I've encountered enough folks who don't have the common sense it takes to keep these animals. I hear what you're saying, but I love this hobby too much (and already live in a state that restricts their sale and wouldn't hesitate to ban them after a bad news report).

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Those are actually the two Pokie I've been looking at, and I have to admit to being drawn to the ornata, because Jamies has some slings ;), just so beautiful. My favorite, and I know I have odd tastes is Poecilotheria rufilata. still hemming and hawing over one though. I love the versi, but I'm so afraid of not having humidity right and hurting or causing it to die.
The rufilata is my 2nd favorite...I want a subfusca highland first. I think that's whats its called these days, anyway..

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

The best way to keep the humidity right with the A. versicolor is to not worry about the humidity at all. ;) Mine has gone through three winters where the humidity in my home gets down to the teens, and all she has is a water dish.

Obviously, I don't know what you currently keep and what you'd be prepared for. Personally, I'd start with one of the "calmer" Poecilotheria species. They grow very fast, so if everything goes well, you could move to the Ornatas. They are absolutely gorgeous, but out of all the species of pokies I keep, those are the ones I'm most cautious with.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
And as the owner of three pits who is worrying about having to change home insurance companies because idiots who have no right owning these animals have given the breed a bad rap, I again have to point to the fact that it's going to be one of these idiots who will ruin it for everyone in this hobby. Again, I'm not one of these alarmist who runs around freaking out every time someone skips an imaginary rung in the "ladder of tarantula ownership", but I've encountered enough folks who don't have the common sense it takes to keep these animals. I hear what you're saying, but I love this hobby too much (and already live in a state that restricts their sale and wouldn't hesitate to ban them after a bad news report).
Have to agree with you there, we do a lot of rescue and have a semi reformed bait dog, Jake, pit/lab. What those folks did to him should have made them the subject of some experiments. I've rehabbed several dogs throughout my life, and I promise you I have at least average intelligence. I fret and research my T's just as much as any other pet I've had. If by chance I get tagged, I'd only tell you guys, and honestly figure it was my own fault for making a noob mistake.
If it makes you feel any better at all, I managed pet stores for many years. Full line reptiles salt fish etc. So while I may be a new T owner I am somewhat familiar with them (^.~ shhhh tho,....I don't have much respect for the petshops either....I can usually move them safely tho and am NOT pro handling.)

micheldied

3 Year Member
Like Enn said, it's really a matter of how prepared you think you are. IMO, anyone who asks for advice on a forum with a detailed post like that(and already has good knowledge of husbandry) probably has the skills to keep any T. The only thing you really have to be prepared to do is keep your cool, no matter the situation. Pokies can be VERY fast, and you need to not freak out when something doesn't go as planned.

Some of my first Ts were an OBT and a H. lividum(they were given to me with some other Ts), and they led to me having a very large preference for Old World Ts. I've had things go awry with very fast arboreal OWs, but as a person I've never been one to freak out in any situation. As long as you keep your cool and not panic, you'll react properly to any situation.

By the way, Avics and Pokies are on two completely different levels in terms of speed. OBTs aren't nearly as fast as pokies can be either, and pokies tend to go up, which makes catching them a little tougher. OBTs are, IME, way easier to care for than G. rosea(in terms of husbandry, not speed or defensiveness), because they don't go on crazy fasts. They're actually pretty easy to deal with as well, because as adults most of them would rather stand in a threat posture than bolt out of the enclosure. Makes rehousing pretty easy because you can just cover them with a cup.

P. ornata are definitely more defensive than many other Pokies, but even then they aren't nearly as defensive as many other OWs.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Have to agree with you there, we do a lot of rescue and have a semi reformed bait dog, Jake, pit/lab. What those folks did to him should have made them the subject of some experiments. I've rehabbed several dogs throughout my life, and I promise you I have at least average intelligence. I fret and research my T's just as much as any other pet I've had. If by chance I get tagged, I'd only tell you guys, and honestly figure it was my own fault for making a noob mistake.
If it makes you feel any better at all, I managed pet stores for many years. Full line reptiles salt fish etc. So while I may be a new T owner I am somewhat familiar with them (^.~ shhhh tho,....I don't have much respect for the petshops either....I can usually move them safely tho and am NOT pro handling.)

For the record, I was NO way implying that you were one of the "idiots." I've just encountered some folks over the years that really lack the common sense needed for the hobby. The fact that your on the board asking about it and taking in the information lead me to believe that you were approaching the hobby correctly. :) And, the fact is, a lot of people don't follow the ladder system and do just fine.

Man, bait dogs break my heart. I would love to spend quality time with these scum that abuse these animals. Once you realize what goofy, eager-to-please sweethearts the majority of them can be, it makes it twice as tragic what people do to them.

Roo

3 Year Member
I'm far more noob than you so you can take or leave my opinion :)

I generally think that if you're confident and not scared of what you plan to keep, you're going to be fine. Just about every animal reacts negatively to fear and indecision when dealing with it, even exotics. I'm confident with my cobalt blues and lavender earth tiger, both of which have nasty bites and are evil, but it doesn't bother me so all's good :)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
For the record, I was NO way implying that you were one of the "idiots." I've just encountered some folks over the years that really lack the common sense needed for the hobby. The fact that your on the board asking about it and taking in the information lead me to believe that you were approaching the hobby correctly. :) And, the fact is, a lot of people don't follow the ladder system and do just fine.

Man, bait dogs break my heart. I would love to spend quality time with these scum that abuse these animals. Once you realize what goofy, eager-to-please sweethearts the majority of them can be, it makes it twice as tragic what people do to them.

Honestly did'nt take it that way, just a lot going on, and I'm running on two hours sleep in the last four days o_O
I respect each and every one of your opinions and Honestly read and consider every word.
I'd be a fool to be here taking up your time if I had no intention of listening to whats said.
I think I may go ahead and get a versi and
try either Psalmopoeus or Ephebopus before moving on to the Poecilotheria as Chubbs suggested.
I'm in the air on the obt and will probably pick up a sling in the next few months.;)

also ^*^

Pits are the best, hands down, Intelligent, powerful, friendly balls of smiley love.
But to be fair many powerful breeds over the years has run the hate gamut,
Shepherds, Chows, Dobermans Rotts, they all caught it in their turn. And I love them all equally,
absolutely adore dobermans and had a rescue rottie I'd have killed to protect.
Only truly bad dog I ever had was a chihuahua and she'd sneak up to nip you and absolutely meant it.
Jake has issues and cannot be around other male dogs, he does alright supervised with females
and is very respectful of our shepherd.
He growled at her during first meeting and she alerted on him, Shes very oversized and dominant. ..hes been her slave ever since.

Latest posts