• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Jumping Spiders

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi everyone, any of you got any experience with jumping spiders? A UK seller has some Regal Jumping spiders
Phidippus regius (ORANGE JUMPING SPIDER) that I have taken a shine too. Seem pretty easy to look after but not very long lived which is a shame. What do you reckon guys? Thinking of a water spider too......lol

Zurchiboy

3 Year Member
Jumping spiders are all over. I prefer catching your own than spending 20 dollars plus shipping to get a spider that live 2-3 years from hatchling to death. They are easy to care for. Should have a good sized enclosure with areas for it to hide and climb around in. That's how I housed a bold jumping spider.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If I was in US would totally agree, the wild ones in the UK though are tiny in comparison. Thanks for the advice though guys.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If I was in US would totally agree, the wild ones in the UK though are tiny in comparison. Thanks for the advice though guys.
If I recall correctly the regius is quite picky about its food and mostly will only eat fruit flies. The other species are more hardy and eat anything up to their full body size.

I saw a baby bold last night but wasn't able to catch it.

I think they're a cool spider. I'd pay the 20 or whatever for species that aren't native to my area.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My only issue is that they don't live long enough :(
I say go for it if it's reasonably priced, nothing cuter then a jumping spider :D
I've housed a few of our tiny local ones and they did fine, gave them some little bark flakes to crawl around on and a bunch of twigs. Fed it baby meal worms which it gobbled quite willingly. I've seen them take a huge moth so size of prey doesnt intimidate our tiny ones.
Anasaitis canosa is what I have infesting my porch. (Of course that could be because I encourage them)

Last edited:

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We only get the P. audax here. at least that i've seen. Phids.net has audax slings for sale for $10 + $10 shipping with LAG. I'm going to order one Friday. I should have the Little Kenyan roaches by then so he can eat those.

they're supposed to have more species available later this month. I'm excited to see what they'll have. :D

Latest posts