• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Jamie's large or medium enclosures

Pamala Darsow

3 Year Member
What do you all think about the medium or large enclosures ? I am thinking of buying two T's young adults . I do not want to try slings for my first T's. The cages are kinda expensive but this is a long term commitment . I do like lockable enclosures since I have grandkids . Do you think there is enough ventilation ?

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have raised quite a few slings to adults using Jamie's enclosures. Just need to keep an eye on humidity manually. No worries.

I also lock all my enclosures but most sling enclosures do not offer that. At least not without quite a price tag.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I love all of Jamie's enclosures. The adult tanks are perfect for tarantulas 3+" and the locking feature is very handy.
Agreed. I'll be buying the adult enclosures for my Ts when they get large enough.

Pamala Darsow

3 Year Member
I love all of Jamie's enclosures. The adult tanks are perfect for tarantulas 3+" and the locking feature is very handy.
Only thing is I read where a guy said that his adult T chewed through the screen. Do you think that is possible ? I would not want mine to escape .

tuko

3 Year Member
Im a fan of jamie's enclosures for my adults.

Whenever i use it on juvenille Ts, i make sure i fill it up with artificial plants / barks / etc to make it "internally smaller"

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I live in the UK so not really seen Jamies enclosures, just checked on line and they look really good. Especially the spiderling set ups. They look impressive and appear very reasonably priced.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Read on another forum that they are doing some site updating so things are a bit slow at the moment,
I deal with them however and haven't had any issues other then one of the vents being sharp,
little hot glue over the sharp spot fixed it right up and I STILL use the sling containers for my little guys :p

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've used the sling and juvenile enclosure on my Ts without any issues to the screens. Other than my typical clumsiness causing the edge of the screen to separate from the metal ring. Little bit of hot glue to the rescue ;)

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Only thing is I read where a guy said that his adult T chewed through the screen. Do you think that is possible ? I would not want mine to escape .

It is definitely possible with larger specimens. My adult female L. itabunae chewed completely through a screen enclosure in it's cage, and my LP female was in the process of it. The seem to detect the airflow passing through the vents and focus on them. The terrestrials at least seem to have little problem chewing through the screening. I had to replace all of the screen vents in these enclosures with plastic ones.

As for slings, it's not an issue. I've used the Jamie's enclosures to raise a few dozen slings, and that has never been an issue. By the time they would be able to chew through those vents, they would be much too large for the enclosure anyway. :)

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
Hello. I am thinking of purchasing from Jaime's. She has two sizes 8x8x14 and 12x12x24. Which would be good for an A. versicolor and a P. pulcher when they are adults?
I bought the juvenile enclosures and do not like them. They are hard to open and close and it disturbs the tarantulas...

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello. I am thinking of purchasing from Jaime's. She has two sizes 8x8x14 and 12x12x24. Which would be good for an A. versicolor and a P. pulcher when they are adults?
I bought the juvenile enclosures and do not like them. They are hard to open and close and it disturbs the tarantulas...
i'd think they'll be fine for those Ts. I just ordered a large terrestrial enclosure for my genic. It's going to sit in the closet for a bit until he's molted a time or 2 more and outgrows his current home. I'm curious to see if it's got the opening/closing issues you describe. What's hard and disturbing about them? they stick or make noise, or...?

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
i'd think they'll be fine for those Ts. I just ordered a large terrestrial enclosure for my genic. It's going to sit in the closet for a bit until he's molted a time or 2 more and outgrows his current home. I'm curious to see if it's got the opening/closing issues you describe. What's hard and disturbing about them? they stick or make noise, or...?
They are basically display cases with a vent. The top is hard to pull off and put back on. And since the top part is larger than the bottom when you finally get it open the cork bark moves since it was resting on the wall. The terrestrial cage does not have this problem and works great. That's why I'm thinking of getting her larger cages, with the side opening I wouldn't have any issues.

I think photos would describe it better...

Meludox

3 Year Member
They are basically display cases with a vent. The top is hard to pull off and put back on. And since the top part is larger than the bottom when you finally get it open the cork bark moves since it was resting on the wall. The terrestrial cage does not have this problem and works great. That's why I'm thinking of getting her larger cages, with the side opening I wouldn't have any issues.

I think photos would describe it better...
Hot glue the cork to the inside of the larger half to keep it from moving.

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
Hot glue the cork to the inside of the larger half to keep it from moving.
Wish I thought of that before putting the tarantulas in there...

IMG_20160331_121408.jpg
IMG_20160331_121448.jpg

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
oh yeah those are the sling/juvie cages. I don't like them either. that vent is the wrong spot and can be a hazard for the Ts. I like how you've set them up though ;)

I switched to Amac boxes. They make them the same size and you can drill your own vent holes. I have our avics in those and the Pcam will be moved to one after it molts. I have the Pcam in one of these now and it reminded me why i had tossed them in the closet to use in a pinch.

Latest posts