• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

It was only supposed to one.....

DeanoMolly

3 Year Member
Hi all,
Just a update on my T family, what was supposed to be one has now turned into 5 .
When I started on this forum, I was bedazzled by the amount of tarantulas people had, I told myself "I'll only have the one" and now here I am,HOOKED!!! These guys are amazing and it is so true that each spider is individual, I absolutely love these guys BUT RESPECT THEM like I do my mrs !

Lector (b.smithi)
image.jpg

My first and favourite! Never flicked and never put up a threat pose as of yet! He's just successfully had his first molt in my care! That was amazing to watch!

Betty (b.albipolosum)
image.jpg

It was a gent on here who recommended me to the smithi and I owe him for the advice But this t also was on the best beginner list! I've only heard amazing things about this species so I took the plunge and got her.! Well, Betty is, in a word, angry!!! She great to watch, my best eater, but my god she is very uptight! She will attack everything and anything! I swear she death rolls locust even the paintbrush got it! But we leave her be and she seems more than happy!

Fred (b. Boehmi)
image.jpg

This T makes me smile, he's beautiful! He's always out infact he's never been in his hide! He is a great eater! But he is quick, like mega quick!! Transferring him was very interesting!! Filling up his water bowl is also very amusing! I swear he follows you round the tank! He's never flicked hair and I've not had any pose from him! He seems to be so full of life, can't wait to see how he turns out after a molt!

Ozzy (euathulus sp red)
image.jpg

This T was the reason I got into tarantulas in the first place! But I got lucky as I got him this size and they are always so tiny and slow to grow! And he is everything I thought he would be! Gentle, docile, lovely looking! The only down side to ozzy is he's not the best eate!

Pedro (euathulus sp red)
image.jpg

I've always said "why do people have more than one of the same t?" And now I no, when your hooked your hooked, and pedro is pretty much as perfect as ozzy apart from being slightly bigger and a little quicker!

I'm now thinking of getting a chile cooper, but we will have to see! I have a garage full of tanks,fake plants, hides and substrate, this hobby escalates quickly, but everyone says this and it's fact! Haven't been on for a while and had to share the new editions

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
We just can't help ourselves can we? Nice bunch you have acquired.

I have to agree with you on the E. sp red. Mine is only 0.25'' but it's already won my heart. I just love the way it plods around.

DeanoMolly

3 Year Member
im just glad I did get into the hobby enn, they are so interesting and my whole family have taken to them all! My daughter who is petrified of spiders, will sit looking through the cabinet (they're are all locked away in a glass cabinet) and talk to them all day!

When I first got the sp red, every time I lifted the lid off, he was out on my hand ( I don't usually like this idea for the ts sake) I would have to put him straight in and race to put the lid on cod he'd be straight back out! Never known ts to be like that

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes they amaze me the way they construct their tunnels/funnels so perfectly. I posted some pics earlier of my P. reduncus and the construction work it has done, they are here

Therasoid

3 Year Member
You thought we were joking about "addictive hobby". [emoji33] [emoji3]
Very nice mix you have so far.
I have a P. scrofa, Chilean Copper, awesome little T. Always out in the open, great eater and always tries to climb out when the lid is off.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
This is my little P. scrofa checking out its new home. Hasn't done a lot of webbing yet, hoping that changes once fully acclimated.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1437710219035.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1437710219035.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 17

DeanoMolly

3 Year Member
Me and my wife are just discussing t's. (There's a surprise) anyone had experience with the g.purchripes?? Believe Chaco gold??

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nice post! I love your descriptions of your Tarantulas. Isn't it great how different they all are? I was only going to get the one spider for my oldest son (I wanted a Brachypelma, but fell in love with our G. Rosea at the shop) and never even considered the possibility that there are that many other species to own, lol. The Brachy soon followed in form of a B. Boehmei sling (he used to be very reclusive, but since about 3 moults ago, is just like yours), then came the A. Geniculata (my excuse was that because of the Rosea's fasting all the big crickets were wasted, lol). After that my husband told me he liked the picture of a GBB on the online shop's flyer, so soon after this little spider was in the post. Then I decided to venture into arboreals and because my usual shop had a grown on A. Versicolor sling/juvie on offer, she became no. 5. How I managed to "accidentally" also order a T. gigas sling, I don't know, lol... After quite a bit of deliberation (a few months) I made the leap into my first (and so far only) OW Tarantula. A little P. Metallica sling. Again, completely "accidentally" (told my OH it was a freebie, oops) I also got a tiny L. Parahybana sling with the order. I've been really good since then and have not ordered any more Ts.

DeanoMolly

3 Year Member
Fuzzball79 this really made me laugh! You must be more careful keep having all these accidents hahahaha! You have an amazing collection there, we always stuck with the brachy's cos of there good nature, but now we're getting itchy feet to move onto something new, my so called scared of spider wife ( who's excuse to buy t's is to blame our breeder because her offers are to good to pass up) really likes the Gbb, I think it's because of the colours, but I'm not sure we're ready for the step up yet!! How do you find yours???

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mine's only a grown on sling, so I haven't found it very skittish or "flicky" so far, but they do they that about the adults.
Very easy to care for: Terrestrial dry set up with lots on anchoring material for its web. I'd always provided a hide, but mine never used it. It has webbed up everything bar the water dish and just sits in one corner, in fact I can see it from where I'm sitting. Great eater takes down prey like a pro.
They're cute and tough little spiderlings, mine is only just starting to show a hint of adult colours. I would say the growth rate is medium/fast.
I'd say, go for it!

P.S: My hubby always claims, he's not interested in my spiders, yet he's constantly there with the torch watching them (he's the same with the corn snakes and was with my old rats). He's go a massive soft spot for my A. Versicolor, because she's a feisty madam and seems to hate his guts, lol (always jumps up at the glass when he approaches, she doesn't do it when it's me or the kids). I went on holiday for a week and came back with all the T's water dishes filled, so he did look after them properly.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
G. pulchripes as slings, love to burrow, so don't expect them to be in view during the day. Mine remind me of C. marschalli, having multiple openings to the burrow. As juveniles, are more prone to being above ground, but provide a suitable sized hide. Seldom refuse food, very hardy, easy to keep, relatively docile,slow growers and are very active as juveniles/adults.
Binomial name: Grammostola pulchripes.
Common (yuck!) name: Chaco Golden Knee.

DeanoMolly

3 Year Member
Evening/morning peeps,
Just a little update on the family, two new additions, first up

Bumble
image.jpg image.jpg
Bumble is a sp yellow. And I can honestly say he's a little git bag, I'm not into handling, but we have no choice with bumble, as quick as the lids off he's out! Also once he's put back he runs to the top, stumbling, falling as thou he's drunk, iv had to pull the substrate right up to prevent injury! In a crazy king of way he almost gets excited and then when you say get back in your tank he goes crazy and gets clumsy! Good eater, the easiest, most docile tarantula I've ever seen,owned heard of!!

Lolly
image.jpg
When I see lolly, I always end up humming away to five finger death punch's " Jekyll and Hyde", she is proper moody one day then the next day she's climbing around coming towards us, like she's saying hello ( or thinking how good it'd would be to tag one of us) all the advice I've received from you guys on hear about the g. Rosea is spot on, she lovley and all, but she's a rose, and you guys no what I mean lol