• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is there anything wrong with sparingly offering food the same size or even bigger than your Ts abdomen?

Sorafromkh2

I generally stick to the rule that prey should
be a little smaller, or half smaller than your tarantulas abdomen, but what about feeding larger prey, then waiting a longer time to feed them than you usually do? Like say i fed my dwarf T thats 3”, and her abdomen’s about a little under a 1”, a 2.5”roach or a micro pinky mouse? Than didn’t offer food for a while? I’ve heard pinkies damage smaller T’s fangs, which sounds reasonable, is that true?

meridannight

I have a bad experience with that. I once fed my Cyriopagopus sp hati hati spiderling a cricket slightly larger than the spider ('s abdomen). That cricket ended up killing my little spiderling! Next day when I got home to check on him, the carcass was lying next to his burrow. I was really hoping it was just a molt, but unfortunately that was my dead spider. The cricket being none the worse for wear.

Now, I knew about not feeding prey larger than my tarantula, but I hadn't seen my spiderling in months. He built himself a cave near a piece of bark and just stayed in there. I never saw more than tips of his feet down in the hole. I just didn't know how big he was. Unfortunately as it turned out, that cricket was just a little larger than he. That's the worst thing that has happened to me during the time I've kept tarantulas. I'm never gonna feed any prey larger than a tarantula to mine.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It is a hard/ sad lesson to learn.

As Blackdog mentioned, pre-killed can be an option. That is what I do when a T is in hiding or has refused food in the past.