• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my tarantula too cold?

arachbiodude

I am referring to P. regalis. It says 75 and above. It is like 28 outside and 72 in here. Do I need any more heat? Thanks.

Attachments

• abu.JPG
    abu.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 6

Poppy2020

3 Year Member
I am referring to P. regalis. It says 75 and above. It is like 28 outside and 72 in here. Do I need any more heat? Thanks.
The best way to determine—— if you’re comfortable in a T-shirt then your T is comfortable. My tarantula room temperature in the winter ranges from 70-75 and everyone is fine.
If you have temps lower than that then a space heater in the room will help.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Tarantulas don't feel cold like we do. They will naturally seek the temp that suits them best, which is why if there is a warm spot (heat pad) they will go there and stay there. The tarantula's metabolism is driven by temperature, so in colder temps they will be less active and eat less. They can tolerate a wider range of temps than we think, thanks to care sheets, and wintering your tarantulas may even extend their lives.

Artificial heating tends to dehydrate, so just make sure you keep their cater dishes, and hydration needs, met.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think it was Phil who kept spreadsheets and found that his tarantulas had an unusual skew towards molting in the cold months of England.

Spent some time in the Tuscan area where there are lots of A. chalcodes. I would not classify them as a hearty spider. Anyhoo, winter nights could get down to near freezing. Burrows probably got deeper, but the point I'm making is agreeing with Octane: our fuzzy friends seem to tolerate cold spells just fine.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I once received a communal group of 5 larger balfouri (2.5-3 inches each). Unfortunately due to the horrible shipping company (no fault here on the seller) they ended up lost and delayed. When they finally got to us, I had ice inside their cup and the wet paper they were wrapped in was frozen solid. They were motionless and I thought they were all lost. In the end, I only lost one out of the 5 and the rest is well and thriving.
Ts are much stronger than we think and can handle a good beating from time to time. The danger is uncomfortable conditions for a long length of time. Ts are nocturnal and active when it is colder at night and rest hidden during the day to avoid high temps and direct sunlight.
Our T room temp fluctuates between 68 and 78, usually colder at night and warmer during the day.
Cheers.