• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my stirmi ok?

<3ley

So my stirmi is in a state right now and I’m really worried about her. I’m not sure if I should ICU.

She’s quite the renovator and drags things around her enclosure all the time, which resulted in her pulling a plant cover down and blocking her hide, which I had to fix. She entered premolt a while ago and even though she has an open access point to her hide she’s chosen to wedge herself in this corner of the enclosure. Usually she faces the corner but tonight I found her facing the other direction and in a posture that looked terrifyingly like a death curl.
IMG_6335.jpeg

I know what you can see of her water dish looks pretty nasty but she’s always on the offense even in premolt and I’ve already disturbed her too much just opening the enclosure trying to get a better look so I can’t dump out the dirt. I just misted the enclosure and overflowed the water dish.

She is reactive (when I first got my look, the one I’m concerned about disturbing her with, she began stridulating pretty aggressively but didn’t do much else, still stayed quite bunched up) and already in premolt. She has parked herself in that corner and hasn’t left for months, though I do see her wandering in circles around the enclosure—only to return and hunker down right back in that spot. If I didn’t see her walking around I would think she never moved. Last time she moved, or at least that I saw, was Friday. The inner parts of her legs are also way lighter than I recall. It looks odd and makes me wonder if she’s molting but refusing to flip over and leave her spot she’s sandwiched in there. Finally, here’s her abdomen, or at least the best images I could get of it.
IMG_6342.jpeg

I’ll be the first to admit she has big bald patches that are slightly reddened because she kicks at the most minor provocations. It’s part of why her enclosure is such a disaster because I can’t do or move anything without her kicking. She’s molted once before for me and it was perfectly healthy.

Finally, this I couldn’t capture on the side of the enclosure because of the misting clinging to the glass but not all of her legs are curled under her. This is the best picture I can manage:
IMG_6350.jpeg

Very hard to see i know but her front four legs are curled under her and the back four aren’t.

I’m leaving her completely alone as of now but I’m really worried. She didn’t molt upright last time and her abdomen is full, she’s well fed and healthy and I figured her staying stuffed in the corner was a mix of weird tarantula behavior and premolt stuff. Do I ICU her? She’s never done this before and I’m really scared for her.

<3ley

T is stressed , leave it alone. Normal behavior to position like this, needs a better hide
Thank you. I’m thinking after she molts and is in a less stressful situation I should add a second hide. She has a pretty good one that she used frequently for a while, but then she webbed up the hide entrance from the outside and hasn’t touched it since, also pulls the plant over over it constantly. Once she’s in a better mood I’ll add a more above ground hide since the other one is more designed to be a burrow. She was very comfortable in that hide for a long time until about the start of this year, I wonder what changed.

I also noticed after refilling and overflowing her water dish she came right forward when I’d gone between rooms and was sitting totally fine in the dish with her mouth totally submerged. She’s seldom taken an interest in her water dish and prefers to suck the moisture off the glass when I mist the enclosure and bury the dish instead, but I guess it’s the season of change for her. I’ll figure out what to do in the meantime in the ways of a second hide. Thank you for the advice! :)