• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my boyfriend's tarantula's enclosure too big? (Picture)

wispyclouds

3 Year Member
My boyfriend bought a pink toed tarantula about a week and a half ago. He thinks it's fine because her species likes to climb, but since she falls off the walls sometimes he's worried she'll get hurt. I think it's too tall/doesn't have enough cushioning. Is it too big, or is it okay?

mTJGfPF.jpg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'd say it needs something to climb on other than the glass, a tall piece of wood or cork bark with a plant hanging down from the top would help and give it something to web to. I'd also add quite a lot more substrate, you could heap some over the plant pot too.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Agreed with @Enn49 It needs something to climb and web on, and a few more inches of substrate to secure a plant in, or hang it from the top screen like she suggested.

Unless your room is cold, like under 70F, you can take the lamp off the top. They don't like light much and don't need extra heat, unless the room is cold. Ventilation is key for the Avics. With that enclosure i'd keep a fan on in the room to keep the air moving.

With my versicolor i found that if there's air moving through the vent holes i drilled she'll try and attack it. When i rehoused my Avics over the weekend i must have been breathing on the vent holes, she kept darting back and forth striking at the air coming through. It was quite amusing :D

Last edited:

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
agree with above. thats a setup for a terrestrial spider. Give her about 3 inches more substrate, a good amount of things to climb on that go to the top of the cage, and get rid of that light. if it is doing anything it is stressing her out.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Plastic plants and/or cork bark, toss the terrestrial hide, it wont use it. It may not use the plants or cork bark either:) Avics like walls. So do pokies, and probably any other arboreal spiders. In the wild, Avics can often be found on walls, under eaves, high up in trees, and even occasionally in huge rolled up leaves on the ground. They behave like giant house spiders.

Can you imagine? Instead of jumpers and wolf spiders, you get huge docile fuzzy avics..crawling across your wall..makes me want to move down there..

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Agree with all the above. Tank size is fine for an arboreal species like the pink toe, but give it cork tubes, plants and areas to climb other than glass, and deeper substrate too. Apart from that, looks good to go and should keep the T happy for a long time. Just keep your eye on humidity with exoterra (type) as they lose humidity quickly if you don't partially cover the mesh. Welcome to the forum too ☺

Latest posts