• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is it safe to leave a micro-roach in the enclosure? Other food alternatives?

I know it's bad to leave crickets. I have a tiny sling G. Pulchripes(Chaco Golden Knee). I got some micro-roaches for her and it's not going well. Nothing wrong with the roaches themselves, but they start burrowing the second they hit the substrate and one of them got away completely. Is it safe to leave it in there or do I need to dig up the enclosure and find it? It's right at her hide, so it'll be a full-on removal and major disturbance to get it out.

Would not recommend tiny burrowing roaches as feeders. If the T doesn't grab them Immediately, they disappear and you have to dig them out. They're proving to be a total PITA.

I know it's bad to leave crickets. I have a tiny sling G. Pulchripes(Chaco Golden Knee). I got some micro-roaches for her and it's not going well. Nothing wrong with the roaches themselves, but they start burrowing the second they hit the substrate and one of them got away completely. Is it safe to leave it in there or do I need to dig up the enclosure and find it? It's right at her hide, so it'll be a full-on removal and major disturbance to get it out.

Would not recommend tiny burrowing roaches as feeders. If the T doesn't grab them Immediately, they disappear and you have to dig them out. They're proving to be a total PITA.
Smash the heads so they cant bury.
Also, ted runner roaches dont bury themselves.

mrsoul1974

3 Year Member
I am not too familiar with micro roaches...
I usually prekill food when the slings are tiny. Once the put on some size, I use really tiny redrunners.

I'm gonna try to get some red runners. Thanks for the advice. On the plus side, I looked in the enclosure a little while later and she(sling) was most of the way across the enclosure. I looked again probably 30min later and she was in that spot, having the roach for dinner. Same thing happened again a few days later. She seems to be happy to hunt them, so as long as I don't put any in when she's going to molt, she'll get em.

She's now blocked up the entrance to her hide and has been in there for almost a week. Hopefully she'll come out having molted. *fingers crossed*

mrsoul1974

3 Year Member
I'm gonna try to get some red runners. Thanks for the advice. On the plus side, I looked in the enclosure a little while later and she(sling) was most of the way across the enclosure. I looked again probably 30min later and she was in that spot, having the roach for dinner. Same thing happened again a few days later. She seems to be happy to hunt them, so as long as I don't put any in when she's going to molt, she'll get em.

She's now blocked up the entrance to her hide and has been in there for almost a week. Hopefully she'll come out having molted. *fingers crossed*
Just remember that you really need to keep the redrunners secure so they cannot escape. If they get out and start breeding in your house, you could really have a big problem!