• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Introduction

LKF

3 Year Member
hello! I live in Upper Michigan and became interested in spiders after trying to identify the spiders that would cross paths with me. Soon I realized that if I bought a tarantula, I would have a big spider to look at! In 2012 I bought my A. avicularia and G. Rosea. In 2014 my husband bought 2 babies for me: LP and B. smithi.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi and welcome to the forum. You've got a lovely selection of Ts, now all we :)need are pictures of them

Redacted

3 Year Member
hello! I live in Upper Michigan and became interested in spiders after trying to identify the spiders that would cross paths with me. Soon I realized that if I bought a tarantula, I would have a big spider to look at! In 2012 I bought my A. avicularia and G. Rosea. In 2014 my husband bought 2 babies for me: LP and B. smithi.
Welcome, and I like your reasoning!

LKF

3 Year Member
Hi and welcome to the forum. You've got a lovely selection of Ts, now all we :)need are pictures of them
This
IMG_1712.JPG
LP: please notice the checkered pattern on her abdomen---has anyone seen this before? Just wonder about it.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum , and as far as the weird pattern, no, never seen anything like it. Usually its whole sections of hair that get kicked off..her skin is pale so its not pre molt..strange.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum. nice Ts you have..... as well as a decent husband if yu buys you Ts too. ☺

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
ThisView attachment 20506 LP: please notice the checkered pattern on her abdomen---has anyone seen this before? Just wonder about it.
I have seen patches like this through flicking. Abdomen looks a good shape and size. Is the T feeding ok and has access to fresh water? as long as feeding and able to drink, then hopefully it is nothing too serious.

LKF

3 Year Member
She has water and feeds and the patches aren't from flicking--they are just a different color. Thot it might be a color variation I hadn't seen before.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This is going to sound ridiculous, so bear with me.
Could she possibly just be missing pigment ? Like albino creatures with the white/translucent hair, or perhaps an injury at some point?Realize it's not 'hair' but surely it's pigmented as its obviously colored.
Looks like the light fluff they get from kicking to me. Either way she's unique.

ManlyMan7

3 Year Member
This is going to sound ridiculous, so bear with me.
Could she possibly just be missing pigment ? Like albino creatures with the white/translucent hair, or perhaps an injury at some point?Realize it's not 'hair' but surely it's pigmented as its obviously colored.
Looks like the light fluff they get from kicking to me. Either way she's unique.
Doesn't sound ridiculous, but my understanding was that you don't see albinism in Ts because their setae and skin do not have pigment. Their skin and setae are colored because of their structure.

This does look strange for sure.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Thistles

3 Year Member
IMG_1409.JPG
IMG_1408.JPG

Sorry to bear bad news, but that's how this poor man started out. Every molt saw a worsening of the lesions, and now they're horrible bubbly blisters. MassExodus is probably right to call them bald spots. If it's the same as my vagans, they'll grow and multiply. I don't know the cause.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I really wish they would do more research on the medical end of things for our tarantulas. Seems like with them being as long lived as they are they would. They far far outlive many small animals and folks invest a lot more money in them. :(

Latest posts