• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Im doing a project for a animal science program i am in and need help

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The size of the enclosure is in part based upon the size of a tarantula & in part the tarantula type. Tarantulas can be arboreal, that is live in trees etc. Fossorials live under the ground in tunnels, or terrestrials, live on the surface. Although some species can be a mixture of arboreal & terrestrial & in the main most spiderlings (slings) are arboreal.

So with some tarantulas you need height for bark & movement, with very little substrate. While with others you need depth to add a decent amount of substrate. I have two tarantulas that have & need, over 12 inches of substrate. I have dwarf species where the adults are 3 inches or less & two large girls of 8.5 inches plus. So enclosure size for me varies from tiny tubes for my spiderlings, to large plastic storage tubs, which give me more floor space or depth for the substrate.

One thing that both terrestrial & arboreal tarantulas do not need is height between the substrate & the lid. As a tarantula is basically a water filled balloon & even a small fall can cause them to split open & thus die. That is why we in general dislike handling our tarantulas. Their well being if they fall.

Tarantulas are ambush predators. That is they naturally sit & wait for their prey to walk past them. So other than males, who at maturity have a drive to find a mate & who thus go walkabout. Arachnids are very sedentary. So enclosures are generally around 1.5 -2 times the leg span. Too much bigger & food becomes harder for them to find.

So sorry, but the answer is not a simple one.

The spider shop has a lot of information about tarantula care & Tom Moran is well worth looking up on youtube. But be warned youtube is full of tarantula keepers who are anything but experts.

https://www.thespidershop.co.uk/tarantula-care-guide/

https://www.youtube.com/@TomsBigSpiders

The size of the enclosure is in part based upon the size of a tarantula & in part the tarantula type. Tarantulas can be arboreal, that is live in trees etc. Fossorials live under the ground in tunnels, or terrestrials, live on the surface. Although some species can be a mixture of arboreal & terrestrial & in the main most spiderlings (slings) are arboreal.

So with some tarantulas you need height for bark & movement, with very little substrate. While with others you need depth to add a decent amount of substrate. I have two tarantulas that have & need, over 12 inches of substrate. I have dwarf species where the adults are 3 inches or less & two large girls of 8.5 inches plus. So enclosure size for me varies from tiny tubes for my spiderlings, to large plastic storage tubs, which give me more floor space or depth for the substrate.

One thing that both terrestrial & arboreal tarantulas do not need is height between the substrate & the lid. As a tarantula is basically a water filled balloon & even a small fall can cause them to split open & thus die. That is why we in general dislike handling our tarantulas. Their well being if they fall.

Tarantulas are ambush predators. That is they naturally sit & wait for their prey to walk past them. So other than males, who at maturity have a drive to find a mate & who thus go walkabout. Arachnids are very sedentary. So enclosures are generally around 1.5 -2 times the leg span. Too much bigger & food becomes harder for them to find.

The spider shop has a lot of information about tarantula care & Tom Moran is well worth looking up on youtube. But be warned youtube is full of tarantula keepers who are anything but experts.

ok thanks so much, im glad there was more detail to it than i thought so i have more info to report

Not Savsonite

Enjoy doing the works cited on that lol.