• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Identify, please?

Mandy

3 Year Member
I've been told this is a Chaco Golden Knee. It looks a lot like a Brazilian Giant White Knee to me? Or maybe it's just the lighting in the photo that's throwing me off? I'm a major newbie, so can someone confirm?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 97

Mandy

3 Year Member
Darn - was quite excited to think I'd found an AF Chaco for sale. Disheartening that someone would try to bamboozle a newbie like myself. :(

Mandy

3 Year Member
This person claims to have been into selling T's for "years" - you'd think if that were the case, they'd know better than me. I'll try to think positive and give them the benefit of the doubt though, like you said... :)

But onward with my search for a Chaco! Thanks for your help!

hellknite

3 Year Member
I had bought mislabled slings in the past.

L. klugi turned out to be P. cancerides
B. albiceps turned out to be B. boehmei
P. baeri turned out to be O. panay blue

Some dealers truly get T's mixed up and don't really know better. But I've treated the slings with the same interest as what I've thought they would be.
:)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi. the same thing happened to me. looks a lot like the adult "ex" a. brocklehursti (brocklehursti is no longer the valid name in the hobby) that i purchased off of someone to be a "chaco". i myself have been in the hobby for some time and even a pic fooled me- couldve been the lighting. it wasnt until i came into actual contact with the T that i knew immediately it wasnt a chaco. you cant alwaus depend on a pic for tarantula identification because there are so many that look alike. take the a. geniculata and "ex" a. brocklehursti for example.........

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Come to think of it, YOU are the lady I sent that pic to. I was the one that was going to sell it to you, realized my mistake and corrected myself. Then afterward, I was so heartfelt about you finding your son a Pulchripes and I did everything I could to find you a female so that he would have a smile on his face come Christmas morning. It wasn't an AF, but a 3"+ female that I had referred HIM to you.......how you could post that about me is awful. I wasn't trying to scam you at all!!!!! Truth being proven that I would NEVER sell an AF Brocklehursti for the price of an AF chaco!!!! Brocklehursti are worth more......so, I made a mistake as everyone does. I have been in this hobby for 8 years. I am no perfectionist. But I am HONEST. :-( I didn't have to help you look for a chaco after I found out that mine indeed wasn't a chaco.....but I did because you are new and I like helping people.....:-(

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The spider is A. geniculata. A. theraphosoides does not have prominent leg stripes see here - http://www.scielo.br/pdf/zool/v31n1/08.pdf

Ray Gabriel (second author in linked paper) pers. comm. -

Pet Trade brocklehursti is the real geniculata, the real brocklhursti is theraphosoides. Pet Trade geniculata is a variety of geniculata with no stable features to separate them.

Bulb keels vary from none to 2 PAc and vary in size

Pet Trade brocklehursti should be called A. geniculata narrow band and Pet Trade geniculata A. geniculata wide band

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've been told this is a Chaco Golden Knee. It looks a lot like a Brazilian Giant White Knee to me? Or maybe it's just the lighting in the photo that's throwing me off? I'm a major newbie, so can someone confirm?
Hello
I can easily say that is a Geniculata,even comparing to my specimen I posted a Pic of in My Tarantula corner it is plain to see.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thats a beautiful T in your profile pic.......is that a Singapore blue?

Latest posts