• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I just got my first T today, it's a G. Rosea. Any knowledge and help would be greatly appreciated.

southeastgunguy

3 Year Member
Hello I'm new to the hobby and just got my first T today. I couldn't stand to see her ( I am assuming it's a female) sitting in the tiny 6"x6" enclosure anymore so I bought her. I have done some research online but have no idea what I'm doing. Any advice would be awesome.

Tara Russell

3 Year Member
Well sense nobody has answered this I will anyways I'm assuming you already have her in an aquarium? I've mine in a 10 gallon aquarium and he is happy ^^ make sure you're using Eco-Earth coconut fiber and a course a hide out log so he or she can hide from stress or just relax. You also need a water dish not water gel that doesn't work. You can also go 2 the dollar store and go buy some bright colored fake plants for deco. I'm not sure if you know this or not but don't leave crickets in the cage a hungry cricket will chew at your Tarantula and kill the Tarantula anyways if food is not eaten remove over night. Last but not least I'm not sure if you know this or not as well but if your Tarantula's exoskeleton looks very dark or abdomen is very dark and bald could be pre-molt. Don't worry also if your Rosie refuses food that's also a habit of Rosies and a sign of pre-molt also when it's time for a molt your Tarantula will roll over on it's back (don't think it's dead) don't disturb or touch your T (I only touched mine because mine was laying on it's side and struggling 2 get on it's back so I helped the T) don't be alarmed if 3 hours past and nothing my T took about 8 hours 2 molt when your T is done molting leave your T alone for awhile your T has 2 harden it's new exoskeleton and as well don't feed your T for a week or so it's fang needs 2 harden back 2 black ^^ anyways hope this helps ^^

HungryGhost

3 Year Member
Ecco-earth substrate, keep the substrate dry, provide a shallow water dish, feed one a week (cricket or roach) the prey size depends on the size of the tarantula. The size of the enclosure depends on the size of the tarantula. Floor space is more important than height since they are terrestrial. If you can provide 4"-5" of substrate it my do a little burrowing. You can also provide a hide, which can be a flower pot turned on its side half berried, or cork bark. Enjoy your T.

PS - I personally do not handle my T's too often . The g. rosea is know for its docile personality but they are all different I had one with a bad attitude. In any event let her settle in to her new home for a week or two before you consider whether or not you want to handle her. A small fall can be deadly for a T.

southeastgunguy

3 Year Member
Thanks for the advice, I have her in a 5.5 gallon tank and am using a mixture of peat moss and potting soil for substrate. I have a small water dish and a half of a hollow log for her to hide in. She is doing great so far, she webbed the inside of her den after burrowing down 3" or so. I was a little concerned at first because she ate 14 crickets in the first 3 days I had her. She is now eating around 2-3 crickets every few days, she webbed the whole floor and now comes out at night and will lay flat on the ground with her abdomen raised slightly. I have not yet tried to handle her I'm not afraid of her I just don't want to accidentally hurt her.

Thanks for responding and any other advice would be great.