• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I have an idea need advice

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I absolutely have T fever, I adore my two little slings and tending them is the best part of my day.
I'm considering purchasing a lot of 250 count card holders drilling for ventilation, obligatory substrate, teeny water dish Moss and plastic/silk plant for appearances.
Question is on the hides. I'm thinking about making huts out of actual cork, but could walnut shell halves be used, or perhaps pecan? Have several pecan trees in my yard.

Last edited:

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Interesting idea. Should be OK for small slings up to about 1". Most little ones dig burrows, beneath or next to their hides, worth a try. Just make sure to eliminate any sharp edges. Please post how they favor a nut shell. [emoji3]

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Absolutely will do, have every intention of making very sure there are only soft edges. I'd be crushed if I hurt one of these little guys ^^

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I absolutely have T fever, I adore my two little slings and tending them is the best part of my day.
I'm considering purchasing a lot of 250 count card holders drilling for ventilation, obligatory substrate, teeny water dish Moss and plastic/silk plant for appearances.
Question is on the hides. I'm thinking about making huts out of actual cork, but could walnut shell halves be used, or perhaps pecan? Have several pecan trees in my yard.

If the card holders are acrylic you'd be better off using a hot needle to make the ventilation holes as it can crack using a drill. For hides I just use a small piece of cork bark that they can burrow under.

bookac

3 Year Member
Never heard of that boxes, i searched them on ebay, and they sell empty boxes, and they look nice and clean :)

s-l1600.jpg

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If the card holders are acrylic you'd be better off using a hot needle to make the ventilation holes as it can crack using a drill. For hides I just use a small piece of cork bark that they can burrow under.
I'll try the needle first then, I have several small bits of cork bark just wanted to try something a bit different, but didn't want to use anything harmful. :)
For the boxes I think they will work well for slings size wise. And far cheaper then buying a sheet and making them. I just hate the deli cups and vials.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Never heard of that boxes, i searched them on ebay, and they sell empty boxes, and they look nice and clean :)

s-l1600.jpg
Another option for 'slightly' larger aboreal types is a beanie baby display case. Not full grown obviously.
They can be found cheaply as well ^^ I'm considering my future slings so have been looking around at more affordable options.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
well G. rosea likes its shell, filled it with a bit of moss and uses it often, B. albo buried it, along with its water dish lol
I gave up and put a new one on top of the pile, they can have their houses how they like them ^^

Latest posts