• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I got one more

setsunadiava

After overcoming my shock at my supposed female molting out male with all the bells (stripped legs) and whistles (red abdomen) attached, the breeder sold me a for sure sure this time for sure female at half price. So now I have two Eresus walckenaeri, a male and a female. :) Lily and Ivy.

Attachments

• F3DB787B-84C0-4941-8647-BB634F3CF63D.jpeg
    F3DB787B-84C0-4941-8647-BB634F3CF63D.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 1B44A87C-A04B-4E4B-BDCD-9A910724B4C3.jpeg
    1B44A87C-A04B-4E4B-BDCD-9A910724B4C3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • 2F11693C-F545-4AA6-99A2-2D10A1EAA06A.jpeg
    2F11693C-F545-4AA6-99A2-2D10A1EAA06A.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15

Blackdog

Nooooooooo no, I know what happens to the parents. I don’t have the stomach for it. They are from the same sac too, so I’d feel weird.
Ooh I didn't know that! I was just terrified of hundreds of babies! Then you have to feed them which causes nightmares of opening 100's of deli containers (my personal nemisis). regardless enjoy these very unique spiders!

MBullock

3 Year Member
Nooooooooo no, I know what happens to the parents. I don’t have the stomach for it. They are from the same sac too, so I’d feel weird.
inbreeding actually doesnt really seem to harm tarantulas or arachnida in general. It might actually be the main reason for dwarfism too. Genetic isolation resulting in a smaller maximum size which has the added benefit of storing less heat, and thereby tolerating extreme heat and drought. So then they survive better and get smaller. Seems like Paloma itself is the champion of it :p
Or say a population suddenly had a mutation causing them to be smaller, and able to colonize closed scrub, etc, giving them an advantage over a big hulking 5" tarantula that needs open ground to thrive well.

setsunadiava

inbreeding actually doesnt really seem to harm tarantulas or arachnida in general. It might actually be the main reason for dwarfism too. Genetic isolation resulting in a smaller maximum size which has the added benefit of storing less heat, and thereby tolerating extreme heat and drought. So then they survive better and get smaller. Seems like Paloma itself is the champion of it :p
Or say a population suddenly had a mutation causing them to be smaller, and able to colonize closed scrub, etc, giving them an advantage over a big hulking 5" tarantula that needs open ground to thrive well.
I mean they’ll both die, so I’m not sure I can stomach that. The more I learn the more I realize my male is probably going to die soon anyway, so I’m seriously considering sending him off to get paired and I hopefully get a few slings out of it? But for now I’m just majorly conflicted. I can’t pair mine anyway, My female isn’t mature anyway.:/