• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I don't know what I'm doing! help!

new_to_this

3 Year Member
My mother in law caught this spider and gave it to my sister who did not take care of it (hardly ever fed it and it almost always had no water) so I took it home with me. From what little research I've done I think its a female Texas brown tarantula. Here are some pictures of her home. Any advice and tips would be much help! (For some reason I can't put the pictures from my phone on this website)

ObviouslyEli

3 Year Member
Here are your photos:
wkbt9HuP_zpsdg9rmmor.jpg
gAQAGdCu_zpsftisltz8.jpg

Simon Chen

3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! :D
Ok, I'm not the biggest expert, but I do have 5 T's of my own, as long as the tarantula has a place to hide and you make sure there's always water in his dish, he or she should be completely fine. In terms of feeding you also don't need to worry, generally a tarantula only needs to be fed a live insect (generally a cricket) once or twice a week. they can go super long without food so don't worry about that, my rose hair hasn't eaten for like 2 months now and still wont. from the pictures I can see he or she isn't clinging to the walls which means the substrate is acceptable. the only other advice I can offer you is to gutload the crickets if you can, crickets will cost you about 10 cents and just give them some fruits or leafy greens or a potato or something like that so they can be full of nutrition when your T gets it. to feed it just drop the cricket in the tank and leave it, the T will hunt it on its own. if its still there after 24 hours remove it and try a couple days later, Don't fret it too much, tarantulas are really hardy animals. could you upload a closer pic of the T so I might help id it better?
any ways that's about it, if you end up liking this one you might end up getting another one, it becomes an addiction ;) just don't sweat it and enjoy your new T!

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Personally I would've gone with a smaller enclosure. Either way, it needs more substrate. Does it have something to hide under?

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree with chubbs. it needs a good at least 4 to 5 inches of substrate and the little rock covering isnt substantial enough to be a hide. a good piece of cork bark that is like a tunnel partial down in the substrate would be better. and the problem with a large enclosure is that the spider might not be able to locate its prey as easily.

Dr Mengele

3 Year Member
keep water in its dish. Eco earth for its substrate about 2-3 inches. A couple of cork bark hides. A screen top! Lordy they will get out ! no direct sunlight but a light of some kind so YOU can watch it. I give crickets some water beforehand. And do take them out after a day. Super worms are great too and wont eat the spider if you forget to remove them km

SasyStace

3 Year Member
I would to stay away from screen tops- learned my lesson after I caught my T stuck by one leg who knows for how long he looked dead- I had to save him and it turned me off of screen tops.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
keep water in its dish. Eco earth for its substrate about 2-3 inches. A couple of cork bark hides. A screen top! Lordy they will get out ! no direct sunlight but a light of some kind so YOU can watch it. I give crickets some water beforehand. And do take them out after a day. Super worms are great too and wont eat the spider if you forget to remove them km
Actually superworms along with their beetles will eat the spider if they are left in and it decides to molt.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Actually superworms along with their beetles will eat the spider if they are left in and it decides to molt.
I've never heard of the worms eating a molting spider..the beetles sure, but worms burrow immediately..so I suppose an obligate burrower could be at risk, if worms do indeed eat them..any links on this Chubbs? I might have to move to dubias only if this is confirmed. Which wouldn't be too bad, really..

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've never heard of the worms eating a molting spider..the beetles sure, but worms burrow immediately..so I suppose an obligate burrower could be at risk, if worms do indeed eat them..any links on this Chubbs? I might have to move to dubias only if this is confirmed. Which wouldn't be too bad, really..
I've seen the jaws on superworms and been bitten by them on several occasions. I've actually had them munch on each other a few times as well as others that were pupating. I really would not want to take that risk with my tarantulas. I don't have any links on this, but I'm sure if one were to search on Google they may find some results.