• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

US I am looking for the most Aggressive/Defensive species. I will buy right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silly

Okay ty. FishermanSteve actually didnt go into details about what you experienced guys would do so differently than a newbie, but OKay. :D

Last edited:

gognomie

The thing is, these guys are helping you out, they don't want to see you get hurt. Please check out the bite reports of the spiders you're interested in for further information on the hurt these animals can put on you.
Also, it's important to remember if you are caring for these animals correctly you'll rarely see them. An OBT in a suitable housing situation won't stand and fight and throw up those epic threat postures you see on youtube, it'll just get into its burrow/hide and ignore you.
Stick with your a.genic, they're stunning animals with a crazy feeding response and filled to the brim with personality and aren't shy about anything.

Silly

The thing is, these guys are helping you out, they don't want to see you get hurt. Please check out the bite reports of the spiders you're interested in for further information on the hurt these animals can put on you.
Also, it's important to remember if you are caring for these animals correctly you'll rarely see them. An OBT in a suitable housing situation won't stand and fight and throw up those epic threat postures you see on youtube, it'll just get into its burrow/hide and ignore you.
Stick with your a.genic, they're stunning animals with a crazy feeding response and filled to the brim with personality and aren't shy about anything.

THANK YOU! I love my geniculata so far. Not shy at all! I am also thinking about a H. MAC or a MINAX. What do you think?

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I came here asking for advise on the more aggressive/defensive Ts. I didnt come here looking for trouble or to be a troll. I dont get why all the negative responses.

Its funny how everyone assumes and insists that I cant keep the more difficult Ts.

I would love to hear from all the experienced keepers, what you guys do so differently that would enable you to keep a difficult T. Something that I cant also do. Lol.?

It was the stuff you said in your 1st post that got you the negative responses. Saying you want a super aggressive tarantula for feeding entertainment, was going to push a lot of buttons. These are living creatures, not status symbols or penis extensions. No keeper in their right mind would recommend you go buy a minax, after you saying stuff that makes you sound like an accident waiting to happen.

It's much easier to care for them and avoid big mishaps when you have the experience to read the T's behaviour and calmly react to the sudden movements.

Do a bit more research on here, including on the species you already have and maybe your attitudes will change and you'll come back asking the right questions.

Silly

Come on Jess, seriously!? I am 38 years old and never heard of someone say there is a such thing as a "WRONG QUESTION".

I apologize but i didnt know that i couldnt ask for an aggressive/defensive T.... That question coming from a known newbie does not equate to being spoken to the way i was and being called a troll. I think anyone in their right mind would agree to what i just said.

Now, I appreciate all of you "older heads/OGs" trying save me a trip to the ED, where I actually work, but instead of talking negatively, why dont you guy teach me what you do so differently, that I CANT DO!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I watched many rehousings of old school T's and i know i can do it also, even being a NEWBIE! Like i said before, these are Spiders! We aint caring for Exotic MonkEYS! LOL.....

Im sorry, but to me, T's are low maintenance, easy to care for pets. Unlike most others, including aquatic plants which i also do.... I even have already setup a Super Worm breeder to feed my Ts...

I dont get why I should be an accident waiting to happen, and you are not? So answer me this question since im a newbie, and you are experienced.

***What am i doing wrong or what can you do in terms of keeping AGGRESSIVE/DEFENSIVE Tarantulas, that i CANNOT?!????????????????????????! Please stay on subject and answer me...***

T-Baby

3 Year Member
As you want an opinion from the experienced keepers here’s mine. Maculata’s while stunning are notorious for hiding, if you’re lucky enough to catch it out early hours then make it quick because it won’t stay out long.
Minax are one of my favourite looking old worlds but also one that likes to burrow which means you’ll barely see it and if you do you better have a catch cup ready, not only are they big but they are fast with some serious venom potency.

In my opinion new worlds with a little more ‘punch’ could be a better option for you.. Pamphobeteus species are great for this, they get big, have an amazing food appetite, fast but manageable and usually on display as adults they’re quite impressive and underestimated.

The thing is everyone here is helping you by advising you against it based on their experience but as it’s not what you want to hear you’re taking offence, I’m always happy to help and advise but I’m not sure you’re processing everyone else’s opinions constructively.
Have a serious think about it, it’s not a decision you should be taking lightly.

Doozer

3 Year Member
My problem with your line of thinking is that you think that it is EASY to take care of a tarantula whether it is defensive or not. They are actually very fragile and can die with just a minor husbandry mistake. They are not as hardy as a dog or monkey. I just hope you do your due diligence in researching the care of a T and not jump in thinking that it's just a tarantula. IMO

Hemolymph

3 Year Member
Sounds like you don’t need our help, you’ve already come to the conclusion that their not monkeys. Go for it and shut the **** up. Troll

gognomie

I dont get why I should be an accident waiting to happen, and you are not? So answer me this question since im a newbie, and you are experienced.
I am an accident waiting to happen, I will totally put my hands up to that, which is why I'm getting my experience on NW's because when those slip-ups happen, and they will, I won't be dealing with an animal that moves so fast that it looks like it teleports and has venom that'll make me take a week off work to recover.
A lot of people are defensive here, as hobbyists we understand we're walking a tightrope because these aren't 'normal' pets, they're weird, reviled and misunderstood by the general public so we have to fight a lot of prejudice and just generally take care of our own which means forwarning them of danger.

Nevermind, you started with the homophobic insults. Good luck buddy and please don't kill your pets!

Silly

As you want an opinion from the experienced keepers here’s mine. Maculata’s while stunning are notorious for hiding, if you’re lucky enough to catch it out early hours then make it quick because it won’t stay out long.
Minax are one of my favourite looking old worlds but also one that likes to burrow which means you’ll barely see it and if you do you better have a catch cup ready, not only are they big but they are fast with some serious venom potency.

In my opinion new worlds with a little more ‘punch’ could be a better option for you.. Pamphobeteus species are great for this, they get big, have an amazing food appetite, fast but manageable and usually on display as adults they’re quite impressive and underestimated.

The thing is everyone here is helping you by advising you against it based on their experience but as it’s not what you want to hear you’re taking offence, I’m always happy to help and advise but I’m not sure you’re processing everyone else’s opinions constructively.
Have a serious think about it, it’s not a decision you should be taking lightly.

Finally! A real hobbyist!!! Respect man... Thank you T-BABY, for not judging and actually answering my question. Unlike 95% of these other homos who wanna act strong and try to put me down....

Unlike these other fags who are assuming that i am wanting a spider that i can toy with everyday and abuse, I understand that I will hardly see them and thats okay! I am not planning to stress/abuse my T. I spent alot of money on them and i will care for them the way you guys do......

Do you have any MinAX for sale? I can pay right away. :D

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
My last comment about asking the right questions was because you were asking what's the most "aggressive" tarantula rather than how can you care for a highly defensive species properly.

You can lower their propensity to be stressed out and highly defensive if you keep them in the right setup and don't mess around with them. So for a fossorial that means at least 6" substrate minimum, so they can hide from you in their burrow. If it's arboreal, then a corkbark hide (tube or flat) and plenty of foliage they can hide amongst.

I can't tell you if you can do anything different to me or anyone else because I have no idea how you care for the slings you have now or what your setups are like.

I personally have not got into any old worlds yet myself. When I first started researching T's I went with new worlds thinking that due to having a child and a cat I didn't want the chance of anything with strong venom escaping. I've changed my opinion now as if you're careful, they shouldn't get out and you shouldn't get bitten by anything, new world or old world. Trouble is, during the research I feel in love with so many new world species I had to have and I'm still in the process of collecting those.

Silly

And your the one with speedy comebacks to every post, waiting like a troll.

i asked a honest question and i am new. i didnt know there were rules and questions that i cannot ask.

YOU ARE THE ONE WHO FIRST INSULTED ME....

Dont try to act innocent. Everyone saw what happened.

Silly

I am an accident waiting to happen, I will totally put my hands up to that, which is why I'm getting my experience on NW's because when those slip-ups happen, and they will, I won't be dealing with an animal that moves so fast that it looks like it teleports and has venom that'll make me take a week off work to recover.
A lot of people are defensive here, as hobbyists we understand we're walking a tightrope because these aren't 'normal' pets, they're weird, reviled and misunderstood by the general public so we have to fight a lot of prejudice and just generally take care of our own which means forwarning them of danger.

Nevermind, you started with the homophobic insults. Good luck buddy and please don't kill your pets!

ur response was 105% useless. go away.

Hemolymph

3 Year Member
i asked a honest question and i am new. i didnt know there were rules and questions that i cannot ask.

YOU ARE THE ONE WHO FIRST INSULTED ME....

Dont try to act innocent. Everyone saw what happened.
Never said originally you were a troll, your name and questioning was suspect. After reading your insulting posts to everyone I have confirmed my suspicions. It’s only time when the moderator shuts down your crappy thread.

Silly

Never said originally you were a troll, your name and questioning was suspect. After reading your insulting posts to everyone I have confirmed my suspicions. It’s only time when the moderator shuts down your crappy thread.

Lying now are we? Why lie when its pretty transparent for everyone to see?!?? Are you on drugs!?

THIS IS YOUR FIRST RESPONSE TO ME....

"By looking at your name you look and sound like a troll. I’ll help you out but you gotta come back and tell us how bad it freaking hurt."

Now if that doesnt sound like a butt hurt homo whos trying to put someone down, i dont know what is.....

The Moderators can see this also so whats the point?!

T-Baby

3 Year Member
Finally! A real hobbyist!!! Respect man... Thank you T-BABY, for not judging and actually answering my question. Unlike 95% of these other homos who wanna act strong and try to put me down....

Unlike these other fags who are assuming that i am wanting a spider that i can toy with everyday and abuse, I understand that I will hardly see them and thats okay! I am not planning to stress/abuse my T. I spent alot of money on them and i will care for them the way you guys do......

Im afraid not, I’m also in the UK so post isn’t possible.

I don’t have one for sale, I’m also in the UK so post wouldn’t be possible but I do think you need to reconsider your decision there’s a reason everyone here is getting angry with you and that’s because it isn’t a good idea. Gain your experience by owning other new world species, you’ll be surprised at the speed and food responses of some and what an experience to have! Money and maintenance isn’t necessarily a problem when owning an old world, it’s the sheer speed and venom potency that come with them, they have potential to hospitalise you and leave you months/years in discomfort.

Hemolymph

3 Year Member
Lying now are we? Why lie when its pretty transparent for everyone to see?!?? Are you on drugs!?

THIS IS YOUR FIRST RESPONSE TO ME....

"By looking at your name you look and sound like a troll. I’ll help you out but you gotta come back and tell us how bad it freaking hurt."

Now if that doesnt sound like a butt hurt homo whos trying to put someone down, i dont know what is.....

The Moderators can see this also so whats the point?!
Your implying it, not me. Did I still answer your question, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts