• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How Many Boards Are You On

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
I think maybe it's time to let this post die. It's starting to take a different track. We can always start a new one on another subject. I think all the "how many boards" replies have been given. I can see a couple of good ideas being talked about,to start new posts. Not because it was me that started it, but I don't feel it's fair to an original poster, to take their post and completely go another direction. I do it myself sometimes, but we need more new posts going anyway.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Martin, because of the availability of wild caughts around you, do you see many of them offered or kept.
Hello
If I'm understanding the question correctly,in my immediate locality there are Baboon tarantulas or spiders crudely translated that I see daily but I haven't seen them in collections. This could be due to very strict laws,and if caught serious sentences could be handed down. I know cerat has a licence to keep local baboon species,and maybe 1 or two others I have heard of. I am also in contact with Natcon locally,and I know that no one in the Free state have any licences.

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
Hello
If I'm understanding the question correctly,in my immediate locality there are Baboon tarantulas or spiders crudely translated that I see daily but I haven't seen them in collections. This could be due to very strict laws,and if caught serious sentences could be handed down. I know cerat has a licence to keep local baboon species,and maybe 1 or two others I have heard of. I am also in contact with Natcon locally,and I know that no one in the Free state have any licences.

So people are not allowed by law to have one unless they have a special license? Does that pertain only to local WC, or do you need a license to keep a collection? Sounds like very strict rules on wildlife. There must be a huge black market.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So people are not allowed by law to have one unless they have a special license? Does that pertain only to local WC, or do you need a license to keep a collection? Sounds like very strict rules on wildlife. There must be a huge black market.
When it comes to local specimens,no one except a few are allowed to have them WC bred in captivity doesn't matter. As for having exotics,there was a huge war guys fought here recently and no exotic has been put on the invasive species list. Still,if you transport over province lines you will still need permission in some cases with only one province banning any tarantula no matter local or exotic being kept in captivity that province being the western cape.

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
When it comes to local specimens,no one except a few are allowed to have them WC bred in captivity doesn't matter. As for having exotics,there was a huge war guys fought here recently and no exotic has been put on the invasive species list. Still,if you transport over province lines you will still need permission in some cases with only one province banning any tarantula no matter local or exotic being kept in captivity that province being the western cape.

Wow, very interesting!!!!

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Martin, because of the availability of wild caughts around you, do you see many of them offered or kept.

Lots of people have illegal baboon spiders in their collection. Mostly wild caught.
You need a permit to keep them in captivity which is very hard to get. Regarding people in the hobby, there are only 2 of us that I know of who have permits.
There is a huge black market on these as they are collected and illegally exported out of the country. Just look at any South African spider that is available in the hobby. As no permits have ever been issued for the export of local spiders, spiders such as Harpactira species (Including pulchripes) and spiders such as Idiothele mira have all been illegally collected and exported. I am currently working on getting permits made available for captive bred stock that I breed, but quite a bit of red tape to go through.

Latest posts