• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Housing size

Roo

3 Year Member
I was just wondering, when a spider get's into the juvinile stage, does it matter if their enclosure is "too big" as long as they are eating?

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No. You have to be vigilant, and be sure it is not too tall. What do you consider too big? T size and enclosure size?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I only have terrestrial species so far. Can't comment on aboreal. I read somewhere to give them 2 to 3 times the size of their dls. So a 1" would be housed in a 3" enclosure. All of mine that size are rectangular. So Marley is 2" give or take, and he's in a 9Lx6Wx7H. It gives him the room to roam and is not to crowded with the water dish, cork bark, and decorations.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Only downfall is finding their prey. If the enclosure is too big, the prey can get "lost" in it, and be hard to find for the T.

I've seen that with the GBB once or twice. But with crickets they roam around and he finds them anyway. I don't have to worry about dubai burrowing away as he hasn't shown an interest in those yet. He's in premolt though so maybe after he'll take to them.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've seen that with the GBB once or twice. But with crickets they roam around and he finds them anyway. I don't have to worry about dubai burrowing away as he hasn't shown an interest in those yet. He's in premolt though so maybe after he'll take to them.
He's a GBB? He'll take to anything :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
He's a GBB? He'll take to anything :)
i hope. so far just crickets. I'll try dubai again after he molts. I'm hoping with nobody there over the weekend it will be peaceful enough the boehmei, vagans and GBB all molt. Probably not going to be that lucky though.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
i hope. so far just crickets. I'll try dubai again after he molts. I'm hoping with nobody there over the weekend it will be peaceful enough the boehmei, vagans and GBB all molt. Probably not going to be that lucky though.
My GBB sling doesn't eat dubia. It eats tiny crickets and B lat roaches. All my slings love B Lats. Dubiaroaches.com has 1000 b Lats for $10 plus shipping!!!!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i don't have enough Ts to get 1000 roaches. i just ordered a bunch of lats from jamies. pinheads and mix 1/4" - 1/2" I think it was. 100 of each if i recall correctly. That should last me a year lol

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
i don't have enough Ts to get 1000 roaches. i just ordered a bunch of lats from jamies. pinheads and mix 1/4" - 1/2" I think it was. 100 of each if i recall correctly. That should last me a year lol
Yea that's the smallest amount he had. Jamie's price is high.....25 for $5 or so, plus very high shipping. These are 1/8-1/4" and last a long time, so as they grow I can still feed slings and juveniles.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'll have to check elsewhere then. I got my last batch of dubai from her also. feedersource.com i was looking at as they have better prices but they're all out of stock for the sizes i need. I'll have to check dubairoaches when i need more.

Latest posts