• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Housing for 5cm Juv GBB ?

Grahamolad

Hi folks
Can I get your opinion on this please. 30 x 30 x 30 exo with coco sub. Light only for show as it came with tank.
Enough to climb ? Being terrestrial but likes to climb ?
Water dish size OK with a dribble of water for dry humidity? I've also read full water dish with no spray ?
Mesh top to help with humidity and after reading about mesh tops a lot of people don't ever have an issue.
Heat mat with thermostat takes temp to 22 degrees Celsius. Room temp , with heating on .. is only normally around 15 degrees Celsius.
Sub is nearly dry right now but will be dry by the time T arrives . Its reading 60% ATM
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20210525_173204.jpg
    20210525_173204.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 20210525_173148.jpg
    20210525_173148.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 20210525_173133.jpg
    20210525_173133.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 20210525_173124.jpg
    20210525_173124.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi and welcome to the forum/family @Grahamolad

Nice looking setup. What size/age GBB are you getting? They are bush dwellers in the wild, often leveraging burrows at the base of trees but also being oriented to living above the ground as younger slings. Many of us keep them like arboreals or at least semi-arboreals with lots of branches for climbing and webbing.

Grahamolad

Hi and welcome to the forum/family @Grahamolad

Nice looking setup. What size/age GBB are you getting? They are bush dwellers in the wild, often leveraging burrows at the base of trees but also being oriented to living above the ground as younger slings. Many of us keep them like arboreals or at least semi-arboreals with lots of branches for climbing and webbing.
Thanks for the info . The juvie is 5-7 cms

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hello friend,
Nice setup but the GBB is an arboreal T and should be in an arboreal setup.View attachment 57354
Hi
I will have to disagree with you on this one.
GBB is not an arboreal species.
While lately some rather class them as semi arborea due to their utilisation of provided extra height and anchoring points this species should be kept in a terrestrial setup(especially once it gets to adulthood and gets some size)
Regards Konstantin

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi
I will have to disagree with you on this one.
GBB is not an arboreal species.
While lately some rather class them as semi arborea due to their utilisation of provided extra height and anchoring points this species should be kept in a terrestrial setup(especially once it gets to adulthood and gets some size)
Regards Konstantin
It is good to disagree sometimes
My comment is based on the experience I have with 3 of them. I currently have a mature female, an indexed juvenile and a mature male now in @octanejunkie expert hands. Out of these 3 individuals, 1 of them raise since 1/2, not a single one of them and at any stage of their lives spent long amount of time or lived on the ground. All 3 always went for the highest point in the enclosure and would be setting web there almost right away. I did read that they were semi-arboreal but never witness any behavior from them that would not match an arboreal species.
My two cents while understanding that my personal experience with 3 individuals might be different than what would be expected for a majority of the species.

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
I'd add to keep the water dish full regardless of species. I do however keep the substrate in my gbbs enclosure dry (I dont overflow the dish). Other than that, the more anchor points the cooler web fort it will build