• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hot peppers

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
I love peppers! I’ve grown serranos once or twice but thats all as far as peppers go.

I used to love knock-your-head-off spicy stuff and will go that route from time to time. Mostly though I just keep things a little beyond regular spicy.

I’ve got some blackberries, blueberries and an orange tree that take up most of my growing room. I usually do cilantro and a couple other herbs as well because they are so expensive in the grocery store. My rosemary bush died for some unknown reason so I’ll have to get another this year.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I love peppers! I’ve grown serranos once or twice but thats all as far as peppers go.

I used to love knock-your-head-off spicy stuff and will go that route from time to time. Mostly though I just keep things a little beyond regular spicy.

I’ve got some blackberries, blueberries and an orange tree that take up most of my growing room. I usually do cilantro and a couple other herbs as well because they are so expensive in the grocery store. My rosemary bush died for some unknown reason so I’ll have to get another this year.
If you like oranges, take a vacation to the rio grande valley in Texas, the best oranges available, it's a shame not many know about them.

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
If you like oranges, take a vacation to the rio grande valley in Texas, the best oranges available, it's a shame not many know about them.

I used to do a bit of business down in the valley but somehow missed the local oranges. My grocery store sources ad much from within the state as possible so it wouldn’t surprise me if I buy them without even knowing it.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I used to do a bit of business down in the valley but somehow missed the local oranges. My grocery store sources ad much from within the state as possible so it wouldn’t surprise me if I buy them without even knowing it.
The grapefruit is amazing too, i don't even like grapefruit, yet valley grapefruits are great.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

That's awesome! Is it hard to grow blueberries?
I enjoy the super hot things like reapers once in a while. I made the mistake of making chili with a reaper. It wasnt good. The heat ruined the flavor of the chili and was just heat. I feel the proper number of ghost peppers in chili gives it good flavor and the heat kick is just right. I also like to try any make hot sauces with them.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm probably going to do it outside as well. Any recommendations on seed sellers?
I just buy from the good, old fashion local department store or lowes and i produce my own seeds. Going in to year four now. There are a few seed sellers that are pretty good, i can't remember the names, but one of them are from my area (they have a website too if i am not mistaken)

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
That's awesome! Is it hard to grow blueberries?
I enjoy the super hot things like reapers once in a while. I made the mistake of making chili with a reaper. It wasnt good. The heat ruined the flavor of the chili and was just heat. I feel the proper number of ghost peppers in chili gives it good flavor and the heat kick is just right. I also like to try any make hot sauces with them.

So far pretty easy but I live in Texas where everything grows if you give it enough water. My bushes are still young so I pick the buds off so the plants will get bigger. Harvest maybe next year. I’ve read (though not observed yet obviously). That you have to have more than one blueberry bush for cross pollination and multiple subspecies cross pollinate even better. I guess we’ll see.

I second @PanzoN88 on the buy from a local place and save a few seeds for replanting. I bought a couple cilantros and each year when it goes to seed I grab some for the following planting season. Then you have perpetually free plants!

TheVez2

3 Year Member
When I was in Guam, I obtained some Booney Peppers, which are in the tabasco family. They are a tiny, 1" long pepper with some good heat. I'll be growing them this year, along with some Thai Chilis, Ghost Peppers, and Carolina Reapers. I bought some reapers from a guy last year and made the most amazing chili with it. I've got seeds from those peppers to plant. I think have a few other variety of seeds as well. Gotta dig them up (so to speak), and get them started soon.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Interesting.
Ive had those before. I dont like them really
To hot and the heat over powers any flavor you use them with.

I can cope with jalapeno peppers on a pizza but when it comes to curries etc. I like to be able to taste the other spices too.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I like the small Asian chillies, the ones with many colours on the one bush. Great stirred into a meal at the very end of cooking. I grew little black ones once, they looked like small black bell peppers, but hell were they hot!