• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Holes in plastic

Julianaaax

How do I make holes in a plastic lid? I went to a few shops today looking for a soldering iron but couldn’t find any in store and can’t order it because I need to make the holes right away. Any ideas?

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you're patient you can use the tiny little screwdrivers that come in a set for electronical use. It's not as much hassle as you think, the tops generally can turn/so it doesn't hurt your hand with the head against your palm while you rotate the shaft, they are almost made to be a hand drill.
Also, I found it hard to drill neatly with an electric drill because the bit skates around before it bites into the plastic. I found it neater to make pilot holes with the soldering iron before drilling.
With some plastics even on the lowest speed the bit gets coated in melted plastic, I've had to use a block of wood to clean the bit between holes.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you're patient you can use the tiny little screwdrivers that come in a set for electronical use. It's not as much hassle as you think, the tops generally can turn/so it doesn't hurt your hand with the head against your palm while you rotate the shaft, they are almost made to be a hand drill.
Also, I found it hard to drill neatly with an electric drill because the bit skates around before it bites into the plastic. I found it neater to make pilot holes with the soldering iron before drilling.
With some plastics even on the lowest speed the bit gets coated in melted plastic, I've had to use a block of wood to clean the bit between holes.
A bradawl also does a similar job to the screwdriver you described...the advantage being it is already shaped into a spike rather than a flat head so is a bit quicker. But do not apply to much force if using a. bradawl as some plastics split/crack once pierced

RonC

3 Year Member
Use some painter's tape. Keeps the bit from skating and leaves no residue. You can draw the pattern for the holes too. I use a 1.5mm bit for pilot holes.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I've had good success using a Makita with a "step-bit" and any soldering iron with a fine tip will work.
Like this:
IMG_5849.JPG

IMG_5850.JPG

Last edited:

Stan Schultz

3 Year Member
How do I make holes in a plastic lid? I went to a few shops today looking for a soldering iron but couldn’t find any in store and can’t order it because I need to make the holes right away. Any ideas?

Go to http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html. Scroll down the page till you're pretty near the bottom, looking at the photos. Note carefully the pair of pliers. You can't hold the hot nail with your bare hands!

Latest posts