• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hiding

CrossCountry

Hi I have a female about 9 years old. She is about to mold but has now completely barricaded herself in her hide. Closed it off completely with substrate and webbing. Is this normal? Thanks

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi I have a female about 9 years old. She is about to mold but has now completely barricaded herself in her hide. Closed it off completely with substrate and webbing. Is this normal? Thanks
It is quite normal for tarantulas to barricade themselves in their burrow, including when preparing to molt.

Jeef

3 Year Member
Depending on the species, you may be waiting a while. Some of my Aphonopelmas bury themselves for months. My Grammastola pulchra and a couple of my Tliltocatls did a few times as well come to mention it.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have a Cyriopagopoeus minax that I brought last year & I have yet to see more than it's front legs. I also have 2 OBT's that I have not seen for over a year.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
yes quite normal for some to seek safety when they molt. What species is it and how long have you had her?

GarField000

3 Year Member
Yes it's normal. Depending on species it can take up to a few months.
My G.pulchra has been hiding for 7 months. Just keep a waterdish filled.

My A.chalcodes sometimes goes into her hide. Closes it off to open it up again after 2 weeks when she needs food again :D.

Latest posts