• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi This is Horus73

Horus 73

Hi I have just joined the Tarantula Forum I am 73 yrs young and live in York England my first spider was a Chile Rose,back in the 1990s,my new one is a Mexican Red Knee (spiderling) just wondered how long the moult takes? Thanks

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi and welcome back to the hobby. :)
It's good to meet someone younger than me, I'm 74, and lived in York most of my life but am now just outside Malton.
A spiderling can moult pretty quickly, often overnight.

Horus 73

Hi and welcome back to the hobby. :)
It's good to meet someone younger than me, I'm 74, and lived in York most of my life but am now just outside Malton.
A spiderling can moult pretty quickly, often overnight.
Hi thank you for your reply much appreciated, the pet shop owner said he thought my spiderling was going into moult, I found a cricket that hadn't been eaten so I removed it,the spiderling has been in the corner of the tank since last week when we bought it,and hasn't really moved is this a cause for concern or could it be that it is getting ready to moult? Thank you

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Generally a sling will have a bald patch on it's abdomen where it has kicked hairs, that patch will darken as it nears it's moult.
It is possible that your little one is still settling in to its new home so I'd give it time. Just make sure there is always water available and feed once or twice a week but remove if it's not eaten after 24 hours.
It's possible that both the move and upcoming moult have stressed it a bit but I'm sure all will be well soon.

Horus 73

Generally a sling will have a bald patch on it's abdomen where it has kicked hairs, that patch will darken as it nears it's moult.
It is possible that your little one is still settling in to its new home so I'd give it time. Just make sure there is always water available and feed once or twice a week but remove if it's not eaten after 24 hours.
It's possible that both the move and upcoming moult have stressed it a bit but I'm sure all will be well soon.
Thank you for your feedback, I will pick up some small crickets today and pop one in the tank,if not touched within 24 hrs I will remove it . Thanks again

Latest posts