• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help With Ventral Sexing an L Parahybana, Please

spookworm

Hello! Hope everyone is doing well. Today I was lucky enough to catch my Lasiodora Parahybana beginning to molt. Not wanting the opportunity of a good view to pass, I took a couple photos and was hoping to get some help with ventral sexing, if at all possible. I know it's not the most reliable method, but I figured it would be nice to give that a try while I wait for the molt. (I'm still inexperienced on sexing with a molt as well, I will admit.)

I hope these photos are clear enough to get a good view. Since it is molting, I only took 2 photos so as not to disturb it. This particular spider is around 3 years old and its DLS is around 3.5", I'd say. (If this info helps.)

Based on guides I have read through, my gut is saying male. I think I see an "arch" but I'm not positive.

I'm a complete n00b when it comes to sexing tarantulas, so any help/insight is greatly appreciated!

LPSpider.PNG

DSC_0192editCROP.jpg

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My guess would be female because I don't see any EF. Did it have a bad molt or something? The exuvium appears to be deformed unless its just the way the picture took.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Since it's molting you can always check inside the molt to see if spermatheca is present. If so, it's female.

Latest posts