• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP PLEASE. Mature lady Rosie partially stuck in molt.

Lamandajane

3 Year Member
My T started molting on Saturday. When I noticed she was in the molt position on her back I moved her cage outside on my back porch to bask in the glorious florida humidity. Everything went smoothly and all was well at first. She had a large part of her molt still stuck to her for a while after she flipped over, but in half a day she had freed herself of it. I thought everything was alright until I got a closer look and realized that it seems her chelicerae are still stuck in part of the old molt. It looks like there is an old leg still attached the the old fangs as well. I don't want to disturb her to get a better look, but from what I can tell one of the new fangs is free but the other is trapped. The old fangs are hanging onto the new, curled under her body pushed off to the side along with the old leg. I left her alone to rest for a full day after I noticed this thinking that she would work herself out of it, but its going on a full two days with no change. Earlier this evening I moved her cage to the bathroom with the shower running hot full blast to create some nice warmth and moisture to possibly help loosen the old parts. Now she is resting in the dark. I do not want her fangs to harden in a deformed position, but am very apprehensive to try and do any kind of surgery. Any advice on this subject would be much appreciated! I have attached a picture of her even though you can't see much, but the extra appendages are somewhat visible under the front of her body. The fang on the left seems to be the one that is free, but I'm not sure. They are lopsided :(
hermie.jpg

Latest posts