• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help please. Identification help would be appreciated.

RIsurfcaster

3 Year Member
Please don't hate me for this, but I caved and bought a tarantula hut at petco. The scientific names are tiny, and the common name is much more readable. I thought I was buying a salmon pink bird eater. When I brought it home, the scientific name was... P. Muticus. Two very different species. I think it's actually P Muticus, but I'm just getting into this. Could someone I'd this for me please? Ps. Thanks for all you guys contribute here, I've learned so much.

Attachments

• IMG_0255.JPG
    IMG_0255.JPG
    700.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0254.JPG
    IMG_0254.JPG
    527.4 KB · Views: 24

RIsurfcaster

3 Year Member
And just to show what I mean. This is with the zoom on my camera. I couldnt read the scientific name in store.

Attachments

• IMG_0258.JPG
    IMG_0258.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 21

RIsurfcaster

3 Year Member
I should also add that I called corporate petco and informed them of this big mistake. Huge difference in those 2 species. The person asked for my email address and said that they'd keep me informed on whatever actions are taken. While I'm not holding my breath, I'm hopeful.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
If u look at the printing, they just printed P muticus twice....both under "king baboon" where it's supposed to b and also where ur talking about. It's a tiny sling, but as I've raised a dozen L parahybaba( salmon pink bird eater), it does look like one, with that hairy little butt. It doesn't look anything like a p muticus sling, as I've had one of those also

RIsurfcaster

3 Year Member
If u look at the printing, they just printed P muticus twice....both under "king baboon" where it's supposed to b and also where ur talking about. It's a tiny sling, but as I've raised a dozen L parahybaba( salmon pink bird eater), it does look like one, with that hairy little butt. It doesn't look anything like a p muticus sling, as I've had one of those also
Thank you kindly for your response, I truly appreciate it. I hope to learn enough to contribute and help others in my beginning position. Again, Thanks!

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Thank you kindly for your response, I truly appreciate it. I hope to learn enough to contribute and help others in my beginning position. Again, Thanks!
No prob. I'm still kinda new but if u love this T keeping thing like I do, ul soak up info like a sponge. Especially from this forum where so many great people are here to help

syzygy

3 Year Member
Going to agree with SD61. I have a couple P.muticus and I don't remember them ever looking like that. Just looks like they printed their labels wrong. Not surprising...Petsmart starting selling live aquarium plants a few years back and the scientific names were often wrong.

I want to be surprised that Petco would even sell P.muticus, but I'm not. Hopefully you got an LP. That should be a fun T for you and your son to feed and watch grow.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
I agree with the others: P muticus slings don't have the dark hairs on the back (they don't have urticating hairs at all).

If it's a Brazilian giant salmon, then it's a Lasiodora parahybana. But it isn't the tarantula shown on the picture next to the name (picture looks more like A geniculata). Which is a second mistake.

That means: maybe you have the T pictured, which isn't LP. Or maybe you have a LP, which isn't on the picture.

So many mistakes on a selling page tends to make me suspicious...

Anyway, you have now a great living creature, and whatever it is it'll be wonderful and beautiful (and care is the same). And you're in for some surprises as it will grow! Post a picture in a few years!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree with the others: P muticus slings don't have the dark hairs on the back (they don't have urticating hairs at all).

If it's a Brazilian giant salmon, then it's a Lasiodora parahybana. But it isn't the tarantula shown on the picture next to the name (picture looks more like A geniculata). Which is a second mistake.

That means: maybe you have the T pictured, which isn't LP. Or maybe you have a LP, which isn't on the picture.

So many mistakes on a selling page tends to make me suspicious...

Anyway, you have now a great living creature, and whatever it is it'll be wonderful and beautiful (and care is the same). And you're in for some surprises as it will grow! Post a picture in a few years!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
I think my head is gonna explode.....lol
Agree that he will love watching the little fella grow and be part of the extended family.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
I just love that Petco might be selling P muticus slings to unsuspecting buyers or families in the first place. Corporate policy....."lets sell our consumers, who may have no tarantula knowledge at all, a T species that will be too aggressive, fast, and venomous for them to handle. That way their kids and toddlers will want to pet it, and get sent to the ER after a bite. Then let's mis-label our containers so they aren't even sure what dangerous species they are even buying in the first place. Lastly, let's put the poor Ts in a crappy container with actual FOAM as a floor instead of eco earth substrate, that we sell for this very reason."

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just love that Petco might be selling P muticus slings to unsuspecting buyers or families in the first place. Corporate policy....."lets sell our consumers, who may have no tarantula knowledge at all, a T species that will be too aggressive, fast, and venomous for them to handle. That way their kids and toddlers will want to pet it, and get sent to the ER after a bite. Then let's mis-label our containers so they aren't even sure what dangerous species they are even buying in the first place. Lastly, let's put the poor Ts in a crappy container with actual FOAM as a floor instead of eco earth substrate, that we sell for this very reason."
Jeez, is Petco really that bad?. That's shocking. Not being in he US I do not have any experience of them but that sounds awful especially as it does not seem to be a one off as I have seen a lot of posts berating them.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Jeez, is Petco really that bad?. That's shocking. Not being in he US I do not have any experience of them but that sounds awful especially as it does not seem to be a one off as I have seen a lot of posts berating them.
It's one of those large chain stores, all the stores do the same thing. It's bad :(