• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

help lol

Newtothis

3 Year Member
Good morning every 1. Im eric. Im a snake guy. And scared to death of spiders. But my son has been begging for a spider. So i gave in and got a Chilian Rose hair. Now im feeling out of my element. But like my snakes I want Rosie to be happy and healthy. So any help ill be greatful. I was told she was about 5 years old.

Attachments

• 20161129_124447.jpg
    20161129_124447.jpg
    560 KB · Views: 15

Newtothis

3 Year Member
I took the top off her cage and she raised her bottom and dropped her head. Im trying to learn what all her body posters mean. I got the feeling she was being aggressive without being aggressive if you know what i mean. And i was told she was about 5 years old. Is there any way to tell by the size? She is about 2 1/2 in.

Attachments

• 20161130_093635.jpg
    20161130_093635.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
She was telling you to leave her alone to get used to her new home:). There is unfortunately no way of knowing how old a T is as their growth depends on so many factors like sex, feeding, temperatures etc.

Newtothis

3 Year Member
I was told she was a female. And i have read some much on the G. Rosa but it seems like every thing i read contradicts what i read before. Just like some say G. Rosa are great first time T's and others say they arn't. Guess just kinda feeling kinda lost. At the moment. Again Rosie is for my son. So i'm trying to learn all i can. Ill be getting be a Pink to for me. He wanted a Pink Toe but i think 1 will be toe fast for him.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Many of the care sheets are way out of date as so much has been learnt about their care since they were written. The G. rosea has always been considered a good T to start with it's not unusual for them to be moody at times and stop eating.
If you can post a picture of her enclosure we can tell you if it suitable and may be give you a few tips.

Newtothis

3 Year Member
this is temp as i was gonna put her in a critter cage. But got home and realized my son had smashed it. I have a 10 gal glass aquarim. But was told that it would not get good to put Rosie in it due to the fall factor.
20161130_105648.jpg
20161130_105707.jpg
20161130_105648.jpg
20161130_105707.jpg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm glad to see the substrate is nice and dry. The only suggestion I'd make is if you could put a piece of plastic plant in there just to make it a bit less bare.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Im gonna get another Critter keeper this weekend. So she will have more room and im gonna put her a plastic plant in with her.
Looks fine to me. Plant is personal choice, doesn't matter to the spider. I had plants in all of mine but got tired of replacing them after my Brachy's kept moving them around, usually on top of the water dish. The only ones i keep plants in now are the webbers and the Avic.

One thing to keep in mind with the Kritter Keepers is they don't hold in the humidity well. That doesn't matter with a G. rosea as they like it bone dry, just something to think of if you get more species ;)

ManlyMan7

3 Year Member
Welcome to the addiction. I foresee a former arachnophobe/ future arachnoholic in the making.

Roseas definitely like it dry. They seem to detest a moist environment, yet they do need a water dish from which they will drink.

Part of the reason for the apparently contradictory care advice is they are typically very easy going, but on occasion, I have seen individuals who would bite your face off give the chance. I would say from experience that I have never seen a species that can be more varied in temperament or quirky in behavior than G rosea.

Sometimes that can be environmental. I was once showing off my collection at a camp and had them in their travel cases I had designed and made for them. As I was talking to a friend about them, I had opened my rose's moist cubicle and she came waltzing right out. I was trying to corale her back in with my hand while looking up to talk to my friend. Just then, I felt two fangs resting on my pinky.

"OK. Let's find you a dryer cubicle then."

Did I mention they don't like moisture?

Yet I have read elsewhere of one who lovingly caressed the ice cube their owner put in the water dish until it was all gone.

Enjoy what has to be one of the most mysterious and potentially entertaining species in the hobby.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Newtothis

3 Year Member
Yea she was quite pissie today. I took off the lid of her enclosed this morning, she came out mad. Front legs in the air showing her fangs. So I let her be. Lol I'm learning. At least she lets me know. And that was part of my concern knowing her body language. This was the first time she was ever aggressive with me. Just glad my hand wasn't no where near her.

Redacted

3 Year Member
Good morning every 1. Im eric. Im a snake guy. And scared to death of spiders. But my son has been begging for a spider. So i gave in and got a Chilian Rose hair. Now im feeling out of my element. But like my snakes I want Rosie to be happy and healthy. So any help ill be greatful. I was told she was about 5 years old.
Hi Eric- welcome. A lot of good advice was posted on this thread. Should help a lot. I swear by kritter keepers for my rosies. Adding to her fear factor could be in opening her temp enclosure. Probably a solid top. Suddenly lets in lots of light and vibrates as you pull top off. Once she sttles into her permanent home, you'll learn to read her better.

Last edited: