• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help i think my T is dying?

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I took arach advide and with better ventilation and some water she has bounced back. She no longer curled.
Also there was no shipping involved. I personly went and picked her up. She was secure in a tub that was strapped down in my car for a 40min drive. No potholes or high speeds. If she was shipped to the people i got her from no clue.
Considering her bounce back its looking like the ventilation and tank was the key factor. She got stressed, and dehydrated.
She is fine now. Probably pissed off and not very happy with what happened.
I learned this lesson the extreamly hard way. But i have a friend i got in touch with that helped alot last night. So hopfully nothing like this happens again.
Thank you all for the advice and putting up with me.
I have never been so happy to be wrong :D and I am thrilled she is recovering.
Have a wonderful day.

Luvs

I have never been so happy to be wrong :D and I am thrilled she is recovering.
Have a wonderful day.
Ok not a good update. My t is currently getting a hydration icu treatment. Shes in a well vented area. The rehydrating is working shes no longer curling and relaxed.

But hers the bad part. Its suspected she has DKS. It wasnt spotted because of the curling issue but now that shes finally getting her fluids, her movements are all over the place.
Were hoping after the treament that the wobbling will stop but its not good.

And before asking there are no mites, we dont spray any type of pestisides in the house what so ever. And all cleaners are used low to the ground away from all our animal tanks. So if this is dks it had to have been something from where i got her. Or the one roach i got her to eat when i got her was bad. Im not to sure.

Shes fighting, and she hasnt given up yet so im not going to either. Hopefully this blows over and i can get her stable. But so far its been a tough battle.

Luvs

Ok not a good update. My t is currently getting a hydration icu treatment. Shes in a well vented area. The rehydrating is working shes no longer curling and relaxed.

But hers the bad part. Its suspected she has DKS. It wasnt spotted because of the curling issue but now that shes finally getting her fluids, her movements are all over the place.

And before asking there are no mites, we dont spray any type of pestisides in the house what so ever. And all cleaners are used low to the ground away from all our animal tanks. So if this is dks it had to have been something from where i got her. Or the one roach i got her to eat when i got her was bad. Im not to sure.

Shes fighting, and she hasnt given up yet so im not going to either. Hopefully this blows over and i can get her stable. But so far its been a tough battle.
oh also ive gotten in contact with a friend who owns ts and has done so for years. They've been walking me through all thats been going on. They went through the same thing with some of their own new ts both aboreal and ground. One of the biggest things they shared was alot of people forget the importance of ventillation for icu ts and is one of the biggest killers. She is recoving, but if dks is involved i dont know for how long.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Without blowing smoke up his arse @Arachnoclown is by far the most experienced and knowledgeable person on this forum (maybe even the hobby) when it comes to Avicularia and Caribena. Ignore everything anyone has posted and read just his comments. I know you can feel like your in the middle of a debate as to what to do but his advice is the best you will get.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The temps are way too hot. Drop it down to room temperature between 72-76°f. That's why she keeps going to her water dish. She needs plenty of cross ventilation. Just fill the water dish and make sure the substrate is "slightly" damp.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The temps are way too hot. Drop it down to room temperature between 72-76°f. That's why she keeps going to her water dish. She needs plenty of cross ventilation. Just fill the water dish and make sure the substrate is "slightly" damp.
You must have missed a chapter. It’s in icu now not an enclosure.

Luvs

Without blowing smoke up his arse @Arachnoclown is by far the most experienced and knowledgeable person on this forum (maybe even the hobby) when it comes to Avicularia and Caribena. Ignore everything anyone has posted and read just his comments. I know you can feel like your in the middle of a debate as to what to do but his advice is the best you will get.
I ive already figured that out. His advise is has already gotten me this far. Ive got a proper encloser set up. The issue now is she cant climb with this wobbling. The hydration treament is to try and get her back to a state where she can hopefully move properly to get her into the proper setup. Her temp is good her humidity is good and the most important she has the ventilation.
Getting tips from multiple veteran keepers is a good way to try and figure out whats going on and do the best course of action to try and save her life.

Im very appreciative of the help thats been provided. Without it she probably would have been gone 2 days ago.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Crossing my fingers!

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Stan Schultz two species on the top of my head that do worse in a ICU are Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens and Caribena versicolor. It's no secret that high humidity kills both...so why put them in a stuffy environment?
It appears that the OP has missed your comment here @Arachnoclown and has put the T in an ICU :eek: -
It sounds to me like yesterday it was improving and now you have been taking bits of advice from here and there and decided that an ICU is best? I'm confused? :oops:

Luvs

It appears that the OP has missed your comment here @Arachnoclown and has put the T in an ICU :eek: -
It sounds to me like yesterday it was improving and now you have been taking bits of advice from here and there and decided that an ICU is best? I'm confused? :oops:
@Arachnoclown @ilovebrachys
She was recovering, but last night into this morning she was in a constant state of death curl, then slight relax, then death curl.

I have a friend who asked their friend about my situation. They are a t veteran, have 47 ts and have their own versicolor.

The setup i made from your help was good but something was still wrong. With my friends help they walked me through a emergency icu to try and get her hydration lvls up. She dehydrated quickly because of the set up from before that all you guys explained to me.

I didnt want to put her in a icu set up but as a mentioned my friend has gone through this before. Ive been sending pics to make sure it was correct. I have ample ventillation for her to make sure the humidity wasnt making it worse. Seeing as that usually the case with versicolor ts.

Shes finally stopped death curling for 7 hours now. When before she couldnt go 1 without reverting back. But now the new issue is making itself known. The wobbling from bad leg coordination. I dont know if its dks, but if it is then something is definatly wrong.

I explained earlier, no pestisides are in this house, no cleaners have been used in the place where she is kept. I use filtered water not tap, and im not giving her anymore roaches from the batch i gave her one from days earlier. If somehow the roach was toxic from something.

Shes being removed from icu soon. And going back to her good encloser. A tall plastic container with side holes for ventillation. Dry substrate on the bottom, small water bowl for hydration and something for her to climb on if she can. (With the wobble i dont think she even can.) Room temp of 70ish, the heat lamp is gone. And humidity is low from ventillation.

If you have any ideas to add or im missing something please tell me.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So happy for your spooder! Good job with taking the reigns. I hope your avic lives a long time and you are rejuvenated as a T keeper.

I think it is the 7th commandment of this forum:. " Thou shalt listen to the wisdom of Arachnoclown. ";)

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sorry, I hope it recovers. My silly post was taken from the perspective of the previous page when your little buddy was doing better. I failed to see the latest update.

Avics can be notoriously hard to raise. Many pass away for no discernable reason. Please keep us posted and don't be hard on yourself.

Luvs

So she drowned herself last night. I placed a cap of water in her tank. It wasnt enough to submerge her lungs. Yet she somehow manged it anyways. What the actual **** just happened.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So she drowned herself last night. I placed a cap of water in her tank. It wasnt enough to submerge her lungs. Yet she somehow manged it anyways. What the actual **** just happened.

Is there any way you can post pics here?

Luvs

Is there any way you can post pics here?
Its not letting access the photo i took. Basically shes death curled upside down perfectly snug in a battle cap that was half full of water.
Her lungs were not submerged.
If shes molting its a pretty messed up position considering she is fully death curled.
I havent touched her when i found her.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sorry to hear that. Tarantulas that drown themselves/or die on their source of water usually have lost their sucking stomach the last time they molted. The only way to tell is inspection of the last molt. It really sounds like that is what has happened.. Nothing that you did was wrong.

BUNYAN

Yes its holed along the while top, the black tjing in her dish it just a mesh to keep her from drowning herself right now.
Just an fyi, T's can swim and wont drown. C. versicolor do require alot of cross ventilation. There need to b holes down the side of the enclosure allowing propper airflow. The rest of the temp setup looks spot on. I would remove the mesh over water dish. Just another vector for bacterial growth.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Just an fyi, T's can swim and wont drown. C. versicolor do require alot of cross ventilation. There need to b holes down the side of the enclosure allowing propper airflow. The rest of the temp setup looks spot on. I would remove the mesh over water dish. Just another vector for bacterial growth.
A little late to the party huh? Every thing that you have said has already been covered. If you had read the entire thread you would have noticed the spider is already deceased. Not cool.