• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP - grammostola rosea - Godzilla - molt still attached

Razoro

3 Year Member
hi guys,
i have this lady for about 1 year and this last night she molted.
when i bought her she had a little piece of the last molt still attached and she molted again and got another piece stuck to the cephalothorax and got the abdomen molt stuck to her too.
she got up and walked a little and all with the molt attached to her so i cut the abdomen molt halfway so she could walk freely but she still have half the abdomen molt attached.
when i bought her i tried to pull gently the molt pieces she have and it wouldn't come off i tried 4 times and nothing, and now she got 2 pieces of cephalothorax molt and 2 pieces of abdomen molt on her.
what do i do?
i think the temperature and humidity is fine so i dont know what went wrong.

1.jpg IMG_20150729_184635.jpg IMG_20150729_184700.jpg IMG_20150729_184722.jpg IMG_20150729_184732.jpg 1.jpg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
All I can suggest is using a moist cotton bud or soft damp brush to ease it off.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
All I can suggest is using a moist cotton bud or soft damp brush to ease it off.
I agree with Enn49.
This may take several applications to release the old exo. This species doesn't want to be moistened. Be persistant when applying the moisture. Try to contain it in a corner using cardboard or something sturdy. Give it a few minutes to soften up and use tweezers to gently try removal. Repeat as necessary. Patience and persistance pays off. Wishing you the best.
Removing from its enclosure into "icu" causes unneeded stress for the T. Going from its dry home into a wet, strange enclosure has no benefits for this species.

Razoro

3 Year Member
yes i did manage to take it off just fine :)
she was really calm about it :)
thanks a lot for all your help !
sadly i also notice that her right fang is broken.
i went to see the last molt and with a magnified lent i was able to see that her left fang was broken.
but now the right fang is only half of it there...i didn't take a good photo of her fang now to show it here but i will keep trying...but i have a photo of her molt.
i read that if one fang is ok the T will be ok until next molt or decide to molt again in a month...
so, before last molt she had a left fang broken and now the left fang is ok and the right fang is broken :(
she only molted 3 days ago.
do i wait about 10 days to try feed her a cricket or a open cricket ?
or wait a month to see if she molts again?

Attachments

• IMG_20150803_002628.jpg
    IMG_20150803_002628.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20150803_002720.jpg
    IMG_20150803_002720.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20150803_010547[1].jpg
    IMG_20150803_010547[1].jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Great news the old expo is off.
As far as the fang regeneration, may take a more than just one molt to be the same size as the other. Yes, do wait for the fang to completely harden, at least another 7 days.
Pictures show a nice healthy T now. Great job!

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Aww, well done, she'll be fine.
My A. Geniculata lost most of one fang during a moult. I, too, was worried about her not coping with live food. Turned out, she managed just fine.
It only took one further moult for the fang to grow back, but that is, bearing in mind that AG grow a lot lot faster than Grammies, so it might take a little longer for yours.