• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello

Lizard lady

3 Year Member
Ii just want to take a moment to say hi!
I've had a couple grammostola rosea's for a few years now. I'm about to pick up a Lasiodora difficilis. It's been on kijiji for a little while now so I thought I would take the plunge and add to my collection. I would happily take any advice on keeping one of these. I'm a little concerned as I've been told its a year and a half old male but it only eats one cricket a month. Hardly seems like enough, and from what I've read these guys are very good eaters. I know I will need to give him a week or so after the move to settle in but I'm thinking he should eat better than that. I am getting the set up with him so hopefully the move won't be too stressful. At any rate, I will welcome advice and guidance in helping him thrive! Will be picking him up today so will be back on tonight. (With pics)

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ah, good luck, hope it goes well. Can't wait to see him. I've never owned one so don't know about there eating habits , would love to see pics of the rosies tho.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome Aboard. L.Difficilis are great spiders. They're easy to take care of. No lights or heat padd needed. low to mid 70s are fine. You'll need to keep the humidity up to about 60-70% not an easy task in a tank.
take a look here for other options:
http://www.tarantulaforum.com/threads/cheap-husbandry-options.217/

As a male, his lifespan will be significantly shorter, and he may only live anothyer year or two.
But that's no reason not to enjoy him while you have him.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to the boards! Once you get him and let him settle, try offering him a cricket once a week and see if he'll take it...maybe the people who currently have him are just not offering more? Would love to see pics of your Rosie's and your new buddy once you get him!

Atx13

3 Year Member
Welcome to the boards! The care for an L.Difficilis isn't much different from your Rosies, a little more humidity, as Kenny stated, easily obtainable in a sweater box or pretty much any plastic container you can pick up from a store(just get it size appropriate for him). A Hide, water dish and about 3 or 4 inches of substrate should be fine... They dont really burrow. they're usually pretty skittish, kick hairs, and hide... not for handling.. Great Tarantula tho.. A Mature male for this species should get around 4.5" or so, females can get around 6ish".
Good luck with your new addition! Look forward to seeing some pics of your collection :).

Lizard lady

3 Year Member
Hope this works. Not sure about getting photos on from my phone.
So he said this guy is a year and a half. He's not much bigger than my 5 yr old Rosie. And I do think he simply has not been offered enough food. His previous owner told me he eats one cricket a month and was due to eat jan 6. Well.... I gave him a few hours just to chill after I brought him home and then offered a couple crickets. I don't think he could have been in the first any faster if he tried. He's had 5 so far. Can any one who's has owned one of these give me an idea of how big he should be at a year and a half and how much he should eat? The set up he can with is less than ideal too I think. Less than 2 inches of substrate. Will fix that after Christmas when I have a few minutes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6

Atx13

3 Year Member
Hope this works. Not sure about getting photos on from my phone.
So he said this guy is a year and a half. He's not much bigger than my 5 yr old Rosie. And I do think he simply has not been offered enough food. His previous owner told me he eats one cricket a month and was due to eat jan 6. Well.... I gave him a few hours just to chill after I brought him home and then offered a couple crickets. I don't think he could have been in the first any faster if he tried. He's had 5 so far. Can any one who's has owned one of these give me an idea of how big he should be at a year and a half and how much he should eat? The set up he can with is less than ideal too I think. Less than 2 inches of substrate. Will fix that after Christmas when I have a few minutes.
Very nice T, and he is good size and looks to be healthy, you can really choose to feed your T's as much as they'll eat(power feed them) or feed them on a schedule, i dont know about feeding a T once a month, but to each their own.. they wont strave.. I go for about twice a week(one cricket or meal worm at time)
But anyways, looks completely healthy :), you dont have to load him down the sub. tho.. 3 or 4 inches is fine... they dont really burrow... long as they have a hide, water dish and such.. itll be just fine :).
Congrats on your new T! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! :D

Lizard lady

3 Year Member
Thanks.
Yes I think he looks healthy enough. Just expected him to be bigger I guess.
Your T's eat meal worms? My Rosie's have never touched anything other than crickets. I've tried worms and roaches. Maybe this one will eat them.

Atx13

3 Year Member
i feed my smaller T's meal worms, easier to make smaller meal worm portions than to catch pinhead crickets for me, lol..

Latest posts