• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Haplopelma Identification

WesleyFuhri

3 Year Member
Hi guys

I got this haplo at a LPS was sold as a minax byt chances that it is a minax is very small
Can anyone please assist in the Identification
uploadfromtaptalk1426518496470.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1426518551809.jpg

I have ruled out longipes with the help of fellow hobbiests, due to it having a decided scopula on its IV leg

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The abdomen looks a little lighter colored than mine but guessing it may be Haplopelma hainanum (Chinese bird eating spider)

WesleyFuhri

3 Year Member
Thank you Denny,

would be awesome if its a hainanum(venrtal says its female).
Are there any markings or so it can have that i can look for to prove hainanum?

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
CNV00086.jpg

20A_0155.jpg

Found a couple of photos out there that give a good view of the abdomen markings. The pattern looks almost identical to yours but you can see the color is darker but that is not that unusual. They do have a close resemblance to H. longpipes which you have already ruled out as the primary difference is the length of the legs. If it is a hainanum, use caution. They can be extremely aggressive and have some of the most potent venom to mammals in the trade. Bite reports for this species are not pretty.

Latest posts