• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Haplocosmia himalayana acting strange please help :(

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Hi, I will post pictures shortly. I am having a panic as I have been worried about Moss, my Haplocosmia himalayana for a while now. He is around an inch sling. He was growing fast and moulting fine until about a month ago he seemed due to moult, went into his hide, but then never did moult and has just got skinnier, refusing food.

I have noticed small flies in my T room I am struggling to get rid of, and wondered if they could be phorid flies (will try to show a picture of one). Moss is lethargic and not digging the way he used to, just staying on the top. I gently looked under his belly with a paint brush a while back and couldn't see any maggots or anything. But the flies seem to be particularly around his enclosure.

I was also worried his enclosure was too damp/attracting the flies, so last week moved him to an enclosure with damp substrate below but dry on top. I read mixed advice re their care, some saying it should all be damp and some saying just a damp corner and water dish.

A few days ago he flipped onto his back presumably trying to moult, but then he flipped back to his front and it didn't happen :( Today he has flipped to his side I think again trying to moult, but his legs are curling up and I'm scared he's dying.

Does anyone have any advice to help him moult?

Gizalba

3 Year Member
1698088217848.png

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Pic from the other day. I had given him a beheaded worm to see if he wanted to eat, don't think he did so have taken it out now.

1698088268605.png

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Can anyone tell if this is a phorid fly? I have had fungus gnats in the past but I think these ones look a bit different. They are I think about 1-2mm in size
1698088366023.png

Gizalba

3 Year Member
This was his old enclosure I was worried was too damp. He seemed well in there for a while with all the webbing, but then went downhill :(
1698088608725.png

1698088658725.png

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Sorry for all the photos (last one). This was him in his new enclosure a few days ago when he seemed to perk up briefly.
1698088777966.png

Latest posts