• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Handling my Ts

Razoro

3 Year Member
hi, i have 2 Ts now :) 2 Avic avic. slings ...

one i think is a female:D , named Spider Pig, because i have a pocket microscope
and i have 'microscoped' her entirely lool...
and the other, named Aragog which i will introduce soon, have only 2 cm leg span...so tiny :).

i handle them a few times now...but i would like to know
how often could i handle them so they don't stress out or stress less with time when i hold them?

i get that they don't get nothing out by being handled but it makes me feel calm when i do.
even my girlfriend, which bought them as gift to me :D, handled them, when before she would win the Olympiads on 100 km running mark if she saw the smallest spider on earth...
which once again makes me proud:)
proud of my girlfriend and proud of SpiderPig for not biting my gf :)

i'm my really really small experience with Ts i think that if we respect them, and love them of course, we can get to know them better and so us beginners feel less fear or stress near them or handling them and with that improve the Ts fame.

Sabeth

3 Year Member
I think it depends on the individual tarantula, as some respond to handling better than others. If you have a T that seems to get very upset when you mess with it, then if it persists in this behavior it should probably be left alone, for its safety and for yours. Other tarantulas are very receptive and seem totally cool with being taken out anytime.

As far as frequency, if the T doesn't seem annoyed when you try to handle it, I'd say it's okay to take it out as often as you want. My B. smithi is extremely gentle and I could probably handle her on a daily basis if I wanted to; I just like to think I'm giving her a break by only doing it every few days. My G. rosea has mild mood swings, so she's not one I mess with every day.

In short, I'd say that it all depends on what mood your T is in. If she's calm, go for it. If not, give her the day off.

lazorkat

3 Year Member
i agree with Sabeth , some of my Ts are just fine being handled.. others wont tolerate it one bit .. if you force a handling on your T and they don't want to be messed with than it will stress them so do some research on T body language and you should be able to know quite quickly if they are stressed or upset with being handled

jon ross

3 Year Member
Ive found that if regularly handled from slings or juvis then they become calm with it as they know theres is no threat. I handle my smithi and also all my slings but i cant handle my chille

I went to longleat zoo last weekend and they had a red chille rose sat on the counter and the woman just scooped it up and dumped it in my hand and it didnt move (like it was drugged up lol)

I asked the woman about it and she said that t has been handled nearly everyday since a sling so the theory does work but i guess it still comes down to the individual t