• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Gravid Bold Jumping Spider (JUVENILE)

Obee

Hello friends! If jumping spiders aren’t a common topic please let me know and I’ll bring this post elsewhere. I have a female bold jumping spider that’s (maybe) around a quarter inch or less right now. I haven’t seen her out and about for almost a month and honestly figured that she had died. I went out of town last night and when I came back home, I was greeted by tiny little babies running around her cup and my room. I looked it up and found that they can’t become gravid until they’ve fully matured, so what’s happening here? Is it possible that they can become gravid before adulthood or could she possibly be a dwarf species of jumping spider that looks like a bold jumping spider? Something else? For more context I found this spider in my home in Northern California and have been taking care of her for about 3 months. Everything in her enclosure was properly rinsed and disinfected by boiling water so there’s no way it’s a different spiders egg sac. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The bold jumping spider (Phidippus audax) is very small, only reaching 8-15mm.
Yours will have mated in the wild.
I once bought a Phidippus regius unsexed and she turned out to be gravid producing 3 egg sacs without being mated again, so be warned you may get more.

Obee

The bold jumping spider (Phidippus audax) is very small, only reaching 8-15mm.
Yours will have mated in the wild.
I once bought a Phidippus regius unsexed and she turned out to be gravid producing 3 egg sacs without being mated again, so be warned you may get more.
Okay that makes more sense. And that’s a good point thank you for reminding me.

MBullock

3 Year Member
Audax actually is one of the largest phids, 20mm body lengths are common in females.
Jumpers can be smaller than usual in the hobby due to inbreeding, which causes lower maximum size. Most of the audax i used to catch were hitting 18mm avg.

Obee

Audax actually is one of the largest phids, 20mm body lengths are common in females.
Jumpers can be smaller than usual in the hobby due to inbreeding, which causes lower maximum size. Most of the audax i used to catch were hitting 18mm avg.
I completely forgot to update this thread! We’ve realized that what we have here isn’t actually a bold jumping spider at all. I forget the name of it now but the species most common where I live only gets up to 1/3 of an inch. We had a mature gravid female of a species and genus we didn’t know at the time. Thank you both for your input.