• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Grammostola pulchra

sandro

So got a quick question my grammostola pulchra has barricaded its self in its hide it's been about 2 months now and no molt
Her hide is a cave so When she barricade herself in pulling the coco fiber with in the hide she made a opening on the other side she is always faceing the opening should I try to feed her or still just wait it out
I am new to the hobby

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That has happened to several of my Grammostola tarantulas, including one of my pulchra. You are lucky to get a viewing window, at least you can get an idea about how it is doing and whether it is molting.
You have not said how large your T is and do you know/ think it is in premolt?

sandro

That has happened to several of my Grammostola tarantulas, including one of my pulchra. You are lucky to get a viewing window, at least you can get an idea about how it is doing and whether it is molting.
You have not said how large your T is and do you know/ think it is in premolt?
She is about 3 1/2 and I did notice some color change but that's about it before she barricade her self

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Keep water available as Arachnoclown said back in December. If she is in premolt, she likely won't eat after this long of time. She just may be taking a longer time for a premolt or staying put after a molt. . I think time of year and temperature affect such things.

Just to be clear, can you tell if her abdomen is still full?

Last edited:

sandro

I have a small night vision camera by the small opening from what I can see without disturbing her it still looks fine
I just don't I want to try to drop a cricket in the opening just in case she doesn't eat it I don't want to disturb her. Trying to remove the cricket after

sandro

Here is a pic usually she has her back sticking out

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220222-073342.png
    Screenshot_20220222-073342.png
    148 KB · Views: 11

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
She must have known you were wanting a posterior photo...

DENIED!!!

sunset

You can pre kill a cricket/feeder insect. Most will still be very wigglie lf you lay them on Thier backs, Thier legs go for a while after death, but it will make sure the feeder dosnt harm your T. Place the food in front of or just inside her whole, spot that u can see, have access to remove if needed. Theyr scavengers by nature so if it does want to eat they'll take it down the tunnel if not they may still take it down to save for later or leave it. But you don't have to worry about disturbing her or it hurting her if she is around the molting period.
Let us know how it goes. Hope for the best!!