• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Goodbye to my N. chromatus

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Got this lil guy as a freebie when i made my previous order a month or 2 back. He was tiny, 1/4" dls. I thought he'd been hiding in the substrate all this time but my son got tired of never seeing him and carefully looked through the substrate this afternoon, and he's nowhere to be found. He found where he had started to make a tunnel, but it stopped not far in. No spider anywhere though :( He's got all the substrate in an enclosure so i'll go through it when i get home and double check.

My guess is as small as he was he was able to slip through the screen top in one of the Jamies Tarantula's sling enclosures. I hadn't drilled any ventilation holes in the sides as he could have easily slipped through my smallest drill bit sized hole. Not going to order any more slings this size, way to much stress with them. i know they're not much different than larger ones, just seems like they are with that incredibly small size.

So goodbye to my son's N. chromatus. :( We hadn't even had him long enough for my son to think of a name yet.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Got this lil guy as a freebie when i made my previous order a month or 2 back. He was tiny, 1/4" dls. I thought he'd been hiding in the substrate all this time but my son got tired of never seeing him and carefully looked through the substrate this afternoon, and he's nowhere to be found. He found where he had started to make a tunnel, but it stopped not far in. No spider anywhere though :( He's got all the substrate in an enclosure so i'll go through it when i get home and double check.

My guess is as small as he was he was able to slip through the screen top in one of the Jamies Tarantula's sling enclosures. I hadn't drilled any ventilation holes in the sides as he could have easily slipped through my smallest drill bit sized hole. Not going to order any more slings this size, way to much stress with them. i know they're not much different than larger ones, just seems like they are with that incredibly small size.

So goodbye to my son's N. chromatus. :( We hadn't even had him long enough for my son to think of a name yet.

Awwwww...I'm sorry to hear that. :(

I would definitely comb through that substrate when you're able. I had the same thing happen with a tiny B. cabocla sling. I hadn't seen it in months, and it had built a small tunnel, then stopped. I dug it out and found it in an totally different tunnel. It was so small, I almost didn't see it. I could be yours made a break for it, but check just in case! I hope it turns out it was in there all along...

Redacted

3 Year Member
Sorry to hear about it. Sucks. I'm with Tomoran- worth checking the substrate, spread thin. Hope it's in there alive.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sorry hun :( every time I do anything with my P scrofa sling I'm scared as its so teeny. If it gets out I'll never find it, fingers and all eight legs crossed for you.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
double checked the sub after work last night. He's not in there :( we did notice a gap in the vent screen at the top of the enclosure, it's missing a small wire at the edge, so we're thinking he got out that way. Now that we know he's out, we've checked every enclosure on that desk to see if he did like Houdini, my son's P. vitatta, and crawled into another enclosure to hide. So far no sign of him :( Did the flashlight laying down on the floor and desk to see if it'd pick up a shadow also, but no luck yet.

I have to fly to Portland for more phone setup/config fun in my office there Thursday, so we're hoping he'll turn up before my parents come and house sit with my son. As little as he is i'm sure they'd mistake him for a house spider and squish him.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just tell them not to kill any spiders they see and leave some spiderling pots for them to catch any just incase it is the little guy... I'm Captain Obvious right now lol
lol yeah, i have to move the Ts to my son's room while they house sit, mom won't have anything to do with them and doesn't want them in the room lol. and it's my room they're staying in.... :p

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
double checked the sub after work last night. He's not in there :( we did notice a gap in the vent screen at the top of the enclosure, it's missing a small wire at the edge, so we're thinking he got out that way. Now that we know he's out, we've checked every enclosure on that desk to see if he did like Houdini, my son's P. vitatta, and crawled into another enclosure to hide. So far no sign of him :( Did the flashlight laying down on the floor and desk to see if it'd pick up a shadow also, but no luck yet.

I have to fly to Portland for more phone setup/config fun in my office there Thursday, so we're hoping he'll turn up before my parents come and house sit with my son. As little as he is i'm sure they'd mistake him for a house spider and squish him.

Crap. I was really hoping you would find it. So sorry to hear that; fingers crossed that it shows up.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Crap. I was really hoping you would find it. So sorry to hear that; fingers crossed that it shows up.
me too. I'd have been happy with a corpse in the substrate, at least then i'd know. My son was home sick from school with a stomach bug today so he's been camping out in my room on the floor keeping an eye out, no word yet though :(

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I hope it didnt crawl in your mouth while you were sleeping, and get eaten. They say we swallow a lot of bugs in our lifetime, while sleeping..lol. I mean its not funny..but that would be kinda funny..

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I hope it didnt crawl in your mouth while you were sleeping, and get eaten. They say we swallow a lot of bugs in our lifetime, while sleeping..lol. I mean its not funny..but that would be kinda funny..
average person swallows about 60 spiders in their lifetime i think it was that i read, there was another average of flies and mosquitoes and a few other bugs but i don't recall what they were, quite a bit higher. I agree that would be kinda funny and ironic, hopefully that's not what happened.

Latest posts