• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Going out of town with sling possibly in premolt

smallbike

3 Year Member
Hello,
I’ve got my C. versicolor looking fat and shiny, but I’m going out of town for almost 2 weeks starting this coming Wednesday. I’m worried if she molts next week, I either won’t be able to feed her before I leave while she hardens up, or it’ll happen right after I leave and I don’t want my pet sitter to have to deal with one-week crickets since they’re kind of impossible to wrangle.
Can a sling go 2 weeks without a meal post-molt? She seems to have plenty reserves right now but this is my first sling and I want to be safe.
This is what she looks like today - first time I caught her in the dish!

Attachments

• F8A0B47E-F785-4C43-BAD2-38BCAB160501.jpeg
    F8A0B47E-F785-4C43-BAD2-38BCAB160501.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10

Frogdaddy

3 Year Member
My C. versicolor stops eating while in pre molt. Just make sure there is fresh water available at all times. Even after a molt slings can go weeks without food.

smallbike

3 Year Member
My C. versicolor stops eating while in pre molt. Just make sure there is fresh water available at all times. Even after a molt slings can go weeks without food.
Good to know! I was worried that they’d need to eat ASAP (once fangs are ready) since their growth rate is so fast when they’re little. She refused her last meal, but I assumed it was because she ate an impressive cricket a week earlier.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Spiders have molted for hundreds of thousands of years before we started keeping them in boxes in our homes.
Enjoy your vacation

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
One of the reasons why we have snakes and Ts as pets, we rarely have to worry about them when leaving for short vacations. Plus I wonder what the robbers would think if they break into my garage to find Ts everywhere and roaches colonies.... :D

Latest posts