• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Gifted with a G. pulcripes and now have questions.

LauraMI

3 Year Member
My husband and I were working a reptile show in SE Michigan Saturday and I just happened to tell one of the tarantula vendors how I used to want one, and before I could go into the "but I decided not to because...", he was handing me a G. pulchripes 1/4" sling. All my former reasons were quickly rationalized away between he, myself, and another vendor, so I now have a spider.
This is long, so I put my main concerns in bold-font.
I'm kinda' thinking I'm doing things wrong. My research 10 years ago only got me as far as the basics and I decided against them. Now, I have this little guy that is smaller than the common, black-footed, yellow housespider and I really like it and would be crushed to lose it.
I sent its breeder pictures of the enclosure and he said I had done things just fine so far, which was an encouragement, but I'm a mother and wife and pet owner and I just want to feed everything! So I fed the sling two pinhead crickets... Of course since it's only been in its brand new vivarium 3 days, it hasn't eaten...but it tried, just missed.
So I put a piece of grape in there to feed the pinheads (as we've had pinheads eat day-old Bearded Dragons and I know that they could gang up on my spider), and the sling went and shared the grape with the crickets! So now I probably have to get the pinheads out tomorrow when I go for the grape & am wondering when I should next feed which has me wondering about the molt schedule of the sling and how to tell if and then when
but I don't want to contact the breeder again because I think I already annoyed him....
The sling is active, casually wandering around the enclosure, but not constantly. It utilizes its hide and is definitely rearranging in there, evidenced by the piles of soil. It doesn't seem stressed; doesn't hide too much nor does it sit out all day...
I know I've become one of those novice pet owners that is asking annoyingly parochial questions, the very kind of new owner that annoys me so much when it comes to the most obvious of reptile questions. So I suppose God is teaching me patience and empathy here, two things I sorely lack!
Sad thing is, I've been bitten by the bug...(gosh I hate puns)...and it's been compounded by the fact that before I annoyed the breeder, he said to come visit him at the next show because he has a B. vagans for me...which has me thinking about a new viv-setup!
Are all you Tarantula people so nice...just giving away spiders because some cute girl said she used to want one? ;)

Attachments

• spider.jpg
    spider.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 11
  • spider2.jpg
    spider2.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 11

HungryGhost

3 Year Member
You've started off with a great species. They are hardy and generally docile. I would only offer one pinhead at a time and remove it after 24 hours if it isn't eaten. Then try again in a day or two. Your sling looks well fed. Leaving a cricket in with a sling could be dangerous if the sling tries to molt, crickets will bite/eat tarantulas when they are defenseless during and just following a molt. Hydei fruit flies might be worth a try as a food source for such a small T too. I also would not provide fruit for the crickets in the T's enclosure, it can cause mold growth. Below is a picture of my 4.5" female so you can see what you have to look forward to. Enjoy!
image.jpg

Latest posts