• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Getting jumpy.

Listershat

3 Year Member
This may sound like an odd thread, but it's seriously puzzling me.
I've had T's for years, handled and transfered loads, (as I usually buy slings for £ and longevity reasons) but I've found myself putting off rehousing my rather skittish LP, (Salmon Pink) for a couple of weeks now. Not the most worrying T around. Obviously I'll do it, but was just wondering about the trepidation. The last two T's I've bought have been really fast and defensive and have been a handful, could they be making me jumpy? I don't know why it's all of a sudden, don't really expect any Poeci / Stratopelma keepers to know what I'm on about, (if you're fine with them, I doubt much would bother you) :) Any serious comments /discussions would be greatly appreciated.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
a second pair of hands and a catch cup work wonders. If you can't get someone to help you. use the most open space you can and have a catch cup handy. Work slowly, and you won't have any trouble. That's how I deal with my H.Maculata, and I've never had a problem.

Listershat

3 Year Member
Yeah, will do ta. Don't know why though, it's bugging (no pun intended) me. Hopefully she wont be as fast as a bloody H. Mac! Transferred her twice already and had no probs - it's weird.

Listershat

3 Year Member
It's not that mate, it's the frame of mind - I don't understand why I've suddenly become a bit jumpy around some of my T's. Not all, the bigger ones are fine - maybe it's the speed, but I thought already knew about that. It's psychology. Told you it was an odd thread.

Listershat

3 Year Member
Ha, yeah I know. That's not the problem trust me. I've worked at dog shelters with so called dangerous dogs, (which aren't at all - just brought up badly) kept all sorts of bitey critters. Not fear, just jumpiness. Worried for the spiders sake.

Listershat

3 Year Member
Yeah, done the feeding rounds with the lot earlier, (obv didn't exactly stuff my hand in the Skeleton keeper) but everything normal. It's odd like I said, just a different feeling. I don't know. Has no-one else felt an unusual jumpy feeling with any of their T's?

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Try working with her in the bathroom, on a towel, in the tub with the drain blocked. That way IF she falls, she doesn't go far and can't escape. That's what I've done to build my confidence handling my guys when I am rehoming or such.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm still a bit nervous working with our OBT sling; even though the past few times I've had to open her enclosure she hasn't even moved an inch. The thinking about it is always worse than the doing. Like Delilah said, I do put her deli cup inside of an empty 10 gal...which I also put inside the bathtub, after I block off the drain and any areas she could easily hide in. I also keep a catch cup handy and my son is usually there to keep an eye on things if I have to take my eyes of of her even for a second. I know, it's probably a bit of overkill, but I'd rather be safe than sorry...especially since she is so small and would be easy to lose her, not to mention that her venom has the potential to cause some issues with the smaller animals we have in the house hehe

Latest posts