• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Gallon Jug Avic Enclosure

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I like the gallon jugs that Tom Moran and others are using for arboreals so I ordered a few.

Knowing Avics like to web up the top of their enclosures, and a top opener risks disturbing the T, I started experimenting with a lift-off setup that will leave the T undisturbed rather than the screw top the gallon jug comes with. I got an idea from Tom Moran's latest Avic sling housing video using deli cups.

I found that quart sized yogurt containers go about halfway into the mouth of the gallon jug before getting stuck, so it gave me an idea.

IMG_20200408_164351.jpg

(ignore the painters tape in this pic, it's in the wrong spot)

I made sure the yogurt container was evenly inserted into the jug's mouth, not too tightly, and drew a line all around the yogurt container with a sharpie.

I measured the threaded lip of the jug from the inside of the next to the rim, it's about 1"

I wrapped 1" painters tape around the quart container inside of where I drew the line with the sharpie (tape between the line and bottom of the container) and cut the yogurt container with a razor blade.
IMG_20200408_164420.jpg

I tucked the cut-off bottom into the top of the yogurt container UPSIDE down

IMG_20200408_164446.jpg

Now the jug fits snugly on top of the upside down yogurt container, making an elevated base that can be filled with substrate and I can put any sort vertical stuff into the gallon jug, either gluing it in or resting against the inside neck.

IMG_20200408_170950.jpg

The next step is to use a soldering iron to make vent holes in the gallon jug and drill a 1" hole in the top for watering and feeding that I will plug with a stopper.

Lastly, focusing back on the yogurt container base, I will glue the two pieces together from the inside, fill the remaining cavity with sand for weight and hot glue the lid on.
Then paint the base black and fill it with substrate.

IMG_20200408_164513.jpg

The final product will look something like this
IMG_20200408_170950.jpg

Anybody else make something like this?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Love the idea. How stable is it?

It's actually pretty stable, especially with the weighted base but I was considering a larger base pad about the same size as the gallon jug's dimensions

We shall see how 1.0 works out with my Avic in about a week!

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Extremely inventive. Nearest thing I've seen is those inverted amac boxes keepers use, but this involves a lot more creativity and tinkering.

Love the idea. Will look pretty when the base is painted.

If you glue the corkbark, have you thought about what difficulties would present in getting the t out if needed? How would you solve those challenges? Or would you just rest the piece rather than glue it?

Soulman

I just think it's going to be a difficult,removal of old bits of food ,may removal of the moult.and is the substrate only going to be in the cup.the base.and not cover the hole bottom.I hope you answer by showing your end product.hope it works

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I just think it's going to be a difficult,removal of old bits of food ,may removal of the moult.and is the substrate only going to be in the cup.the base.and not cover the hole bottom.I hope you answer by showing your end product.hope it works
There are probably several aspects to it that are not ideal under every circumstance butI I'll try it with one spider and see how it goes.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Prepped the Avic Jug today for re-housing our A. avic this weekend.

IMG_20200416_144023.jpg
IMG_20200416_144023.jpg

Melted holes all around and added a 5/8" feed/watering hole and bung to the top - I can always make this bigger if needed.

I glued the base halves together and spray painted the outside of the base black. I filled the cavity between the halves with sand. The base, empty of substrate, weighs 6.5oz.

The water dish will be placed on the substrate, as I plan to spray the enclosure fairly regularly, and that way I can swap out the water dish easily for cleaning vs. glueing it up high. I've seen my Avic crawl around her current enclosure enough to know it can go down to water as needed.

I positioned the cork bark and glued on leaves and some moss. I plugged the cork bark about mid way from the bottom to keep the spider from just living in the cork bark full time. I did the same thing at the top to keep critters out and filled the rest with moss.

Rather than glue the cork bark in, and have a hard time getting it and the spider out in the future as was suggested by @Jess S I came up with another solution. I cut and glued a golf tee on the inside, lower corner. The cork bark simply slides down on the tee, like a peg, and doesn't slip around. This way I can remove the entire cork bark by just lifting up about an inch and pulling it out.

IMG_20200416_145942.jpg

I will fill the base with substrate tomorrow and let it sit for a day before transferring the spider.

Attachments

• IMG_20200416_144031.jpg
    IMG_20200416_144031.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 6

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's a good idea how you have made it .. I hope it works well for you, do let us know how you find it once you start using it :)

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
She has settled in and is using the hidey hole in the cork bark round during the day and is out at night

Fed her today, dropped a 2/4" B. lat with crushed head into her webbing... and now we wait

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This enclosure has been working rather well. Rehousing out of it will be interesting but I don't think I will ever need to.

I wish I had drilled the bung at the top larger but I have no problem using it to top water and feed so far, just have to stun the feeders a bit and they don't fight much going in lol

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks!
It basically is, it's a tapered plug that fits a 5/8" hole

Latest posts