• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

G. Rosea first time owner

Sogh

3 Year Member
Hi, I bought my first tarantula a few days ago at a pet supplies plus, I grabbed a care sheet from their rack to skim over, but I never put much weight in the information they provide, with just cause too as the care sheet said my rose should have 75% humidity or higher, which 5 minutes of research once I got home proved was a bad idea, the research also revealed the hemisphere shift, season synchronization, and other such things I hadn't otherwise known, no big deal though, I currently own 3 hermit crabs and a large Halloween crab, which re,quire fairly strict humidity levels in order to properly breath and such.

The room I will keep the tarantula is subject to heavy artificial lighting, often at random hours due to me working midnights and my fiance working a mixtures or mornings and afternoons, I fear this will be very stressful on the rose and prevent it from properly synchronizing itself. I'm very experienced in electrical circuits and micro controller programming so a majority of my monitoring equipment is homemade, so I was thinking perhaps putting the rose in a non clear enclosure to cut down on the room light interfering with its timing, and install a lighting system which will be controlled by a solar panel and relay, basically the light will turn on when the sun rises and off when it sets, letting the rose see the length of the day easier.

Is this necessary? Or am I over thinking this, I know they are a hardy species but I would like for it to be as comfortable as possible.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Bone Dry is how Roses need to be kept. a water bowl is all the humidity you will need.
As far as light, as long as you provide your Rose a nice Dark hide, or just lots of cover, you'll have no worries.

WTTB

ScotStorms

3 Year Member
Hi, I bought my first tarantula a few days ago at a pet supplies plus, I grabbed a care sheet from their rack to skim over, but I never put much weight in the information they provide, with just cause too as the care sheet said my rose should have 75% humidity or higher, which 5 minutes of research once I got home proved was a bad idea, the research also revealed the hemisphere shift, season synchronization, and other such things I hadn't otherwise known, no big deal though, I currently own 3 hermit crabs and a large Halloween crab, which re,quire fairly strict humidity levels in order to properly breath and such.

The room I will keep the tarantula is subject to heavy artificial lighting, often at random hours due to me working midnights and my fiance working a mixtures or mornings and afternoons, I fear this will be very stressful on the rose and prevent it from properly synchronizing itself. I'm very experienced in electrical circuits and micro controller programming so a majority of my monitoring equipment is homemade, so I was thinking perhaps putting the rose in a non clear enclosure to cut down on the room light interfering with its timing, and install a lighting system which will be controlled by a solar panel and relay, basically the light will turn on when the sun rises and off when it sets, letting the rose see the length of the day easier.

Is this necessary? Or am I over thinking this, I know they are a hardy species but I would like for it to be as comfortable as possible.
I think you are over thinking this..Have you done detailed studied over it? There might be some species comfortable with it..

Last edited:

Latest posts