• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

G pulchripes

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm leaving in a few hrs to hopefully find some moderatum, so I thought I'd kill some time. I have a question for G pulchripes keepers. I currently keep an adult porteri, a juvie pulchripes and a juvie pulchra. All are confirmed females, kept at 74º F and fed well, but not powerfed. I stopped powerfeeding awhile back.
The pulchra is typical to the genus..she grows sloooow. The pulchripes grows so much faster I assumed for a long time she was male, didn't even bother to check. Has this been anyone else's experience? I personally think the pulchripes doesn't get enough love in the hobby. And if it grows so much faster than other Grammastola than it seems like it would be more popular. They're gorgeous, but I guess maybe because they're brown spiders they're not as sought after? Do I have some kind of giant freak or do all pulchripes grow twice as fast as other sp in their genus? Anyone? And any comments about fast growing sp in that genus? How bout the G acteon? Iherengi? Gigantea?

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Not sure on growth rate compared to other grammostola species but mine seems to have grown pretty quickly. I got my pulchripes back in august as a 1/2 sling and he's about 2 1/2" now. Definitely growing a lot faster than I thought considering everything I ever read said that grammostolas are slow growing.
_20170507_194714.JPG

August 2016.
_20170507_194816.JPG
as of now...

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I love my Chaco :) i got my G. pulchripes back in Jan. 2016, the G. pulchra in Feb. 2016, about 2 weeks apart or so. I think they're both slow growing, The pulchripes was 1/2" when i got it, the pulchras both were 3/4", or so they were sold as. I haven't measured any of them yet to see what they actual size is now, i'm guessing the pulchra between 2 and 2.5 and the pulchripes is close to the same, problem is they never come out of hte burrow to get a good look at them so this is all guesstimation :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think your pulchripes will suprise you later on kormath ;) Mine was well started at 2" when I got her, and man she got a huge growth spurt. I think she's gonna be a biggin:D She's not so psychotic anymore either. Now the only psycho I have is my Ld..which is kind of sad for some reason..

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
cool! my pulchripes hasn't been psycho, it's spent 90% of the time i've had it in it's burrow. Has a great eating response though. The 2nd pulchra is the psycho one. He pulls his water dish upside down into his hide then slaps the tongs when we try and remove it, so we've been wetting a corner down in his enclosure every 4 or 5 days or however long it takes to dry.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
cool! my pulchripes hasn't been psycho, it's spent 90% of the time i've had it in it's burrow. Has a great eating response though. The 2nd pulchra is the psycho one. He pulls his water dish upside down into his hide then slaps the tongs when we try and remove it, so we've been wetting a corner down in his enclosure every 4 or 5 days or however long it takes to dry.
Rofl, sounds like my Ld, she gives me a threat display for simply opening the top of her enclosure..at least she stopped drooling venom...my pulchra used to charge my hand but she wouldnt try to bite, she'd touch me and back off. The pulchripes would do everything she could to bite me. Now she's just like any other spider. :D

Latest posts